Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: All about city block tiling scripts.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Post All about city block tiling scripts.

Now that the current challenge is over I wanted to get back to my thatching and other roof type experiments. I have been promising myself that I would thatch a whole city in one go which sounds like a barrel of laughs...maybe.

Instead I thought it would be a better idea to get some tiled textures of city blocks so that I can shove these in and delete out the buildings I dont need with either the eraser tool or by using a mask. So this is an attempt to do that.

What I am looking for is some C&C's about the textures posted and also what sort of roof types and stuff people want. Now I am only going to post the textures with the buildings as done because its taken me all night to make these in 3D. So I have the buildings as a height map and I can render this out with any kind of texture or roof on the top.

So starting with thatching, how do these look ? Do you like the floor and thatch - ill upload these when were all happy as they are 4096 square PNG's which should tile seamlessly.

Edit -- added lightened up version which I think is more representative of thatch.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-31-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Praise Great Work!

Redrobes,

This is great! I really like the thatching look and the buildings are super! This would be so much easier to use in the Midieval City tutorial than hand-drawing all the streets.

Great work and I look forward to your further posts in this thread.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Blog Entries

Thanks Vandy - its giving me grief now trying to upload the updated version so ill post it here. Yeah the idea is just to rub out the area you want filled with thatched houses and then tiled houses and then whatever other types of roof I come up with. Should make the process from being a real pain to a cinch.

To be honest theres not much to do with thatch but do you think the mud is alright and do you think I need a little grass around each house so the mud is down the middle of the gaps only etc. It would be nice to keep the same mud for all the house types then you can mix and match the houses on one map.

I think I have killed the attachments capability on the server....

Post Maybe leave it transparent?

Hey, RR.

I wonder if it would be possible to leave the space between houses transparent? That way, people could create their own layer to use for their "ground" for around the buildings they chose to use.

Just a thought...

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Blog Entries

Aargh - double posted now - still gives me a chance to answer...

Yes I could do that I think. So create a blank background. Good idea. Ill see to it.

Blog Entries

Cool yes that sorts that out doesnt it. Right ill try some more shortly with different roof types and get them all zipped.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm wondering about the shadows. I could just rotate the pattern to suit my needs for sun placement but I'm thinking that you might want to dump that part as well...no biggie either way. I think a slate or shake-shingle type roof might be cool as well as stone and maybe terra cotta. Up to you, just some ideas. Thanks for these, I'm sure I'll use em.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I can adjust the shadow angle and so on. Its just that in previous maps people have always wanted the shadow. Also I would use tokens for each house but if I rotate them to place them down then I don't get consistent lighting or shadows so a major part of this for me is to get all the houses placed with the same lighting. But I can do one with no shadow if thats what people want.

Right the first one is up. Now its a biggie at about 35Mb so dont all do a gold rush job on my host
    Thatched Clear background with shadows.
    It ought to load in a browser but might be better to do a 'save target as' on the link.

Let me know if these are good and ill look at tiled, slate and woodblock roofs too.

Blog Entries

This is it tiling - its not bad. If you look close you can see the edges in a few places but most of it is seamless. This image is a 3x3 set of them where the middle tile takes up most of the image so the edges of the tile are not all that far from the edges of the image. Good enough for me any way.

Oh I also made the shadows semi transparent so it should show up the ground underneath. Oh well just try it and see how you feel about it and let me know. I can change the transparency, amount, direction or anything. The C&C's are welcome to get this about right before I do them all like it as id like to stick with one style and run with that for all roofs.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-31-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Hmm.. what software is this? It looks good but how is it done?
    *rubs eyes*

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast