Thread: VANDY's First World - Jotunheimr

Wip VANDY's First World - Jotunheimr

Hi, All.

I needed a break from the city map I'm working on (Boy! Creating all the streets for the houses takes quite a bit of time!) and thought I'd start a new project.

I'm creating my first world map. It is based off the tutorial called How to draw nice maps at the Virtual Verduria Website. I'm pretty much following the tutorial but am sure I'll "stray" from time to time base on what I'm trying to accomplish.

Here is what I have so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_World 30 JAN 09.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	9809

As you can see, I have defined my landmasses, rivers, lakes and seas and have "highlighted" the coastline with a bit darker sea coloring. I also have a sketch layer for the continental divides of my major mountain chains.

I plan on redoing the rivers using the "Tapering Rivers Using PhotoShop" tutorial but that will be a bit later.

As always, your comments are always welcome.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There's a river infraction on the top right chunk of land. The river that flows north I'd chop it off and "hook" it to the mountains to the west, while running the river out of the lake to the south as is.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Question Huh?

Hi, Ascension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    There's a river infraction on the top right chunk of land. The river that flows north I'd chop it off and "hook" it to the mountains to the west, while running the river out of the lake to the south as is.
    Really, I'm not dumb or anything but...

... HUH?

Regards,

Gary
    © May 29, 1980

Blog Entries

The lake top right is exiting and then it forks downstream and ends up in the sea at two points. This is not likely.

Wip Changed River locations

PERSONAL REPLIES

Ascension - Thanks for your input. Sorry for being a bit of a "dull knife" when it came to understanding what you were pointed out. Redrobes helped me see what you were showing me.

Redrobes - I appreciate your helping me understand Ascension's point. I most certainly want to stay out of the sights of the "river police". Thanks.

WIP UPDATE

Well, I have changed the location of the rivers in question as you can see in the attached update.

Also, I've taken apart what I've previously done and made the land, oceans, Rivers and Lakes all on separate layers. Finally, I've removed the dark "shadowing" along the coastline. I'll add that back later.

Next step? Starting to hand make by relief map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jotunheimr - 02 FEB 09.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	9874

As always, your comments are not only welcome but very much appreciated and aggressively sought after.

Regards,

Gary
    © May 29, 1980