Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Temple

Post Water Temple

Disclaimer: This is my first time ever mapping out a building interior with Photoshop. High levels of suck are quite possible. You have been warned.

Anyhow, I made a water temple to try out some ideas I had for making interior maps (and to make anybody who has played a certain LoZ game begin to rock back and forth sucking their thumb). Right now I am stuck on a certain part. I need furniture (rugs, altars, beds, tables, wardrobes, etc) but I don't have any graphics. So I need to make/find some. Do any of you have any tips on how to go about doing this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water Temple.png 
Views:	1335 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	9855  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

First...wow, those colors rock! I'm not wild about the gold tho, I'd make it either lighter or silver...just me tho. Second, the Dunjinni forums got the hookup for items to fill yer dungeon.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post FUM symbols are free now!

Hey, Nomadic! Devin Night at Four Ugly Monsters is giving away all of his symbol sets for free! There's a link in the News Forum I think, otherwise go to FUM site and get them.

Then there's always the Dundjinni forums as already mentioned.

Also, there is a Temple Map Contest going on at ironcrown.com until March 1st. You might want to finish that design up and send it in. The prizes are I.C.E. RPG stuff, so not so great if you don't play HARP or Rolemaster, but fame and glory comes with it too! Send it in, please!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll echo what's already been said as far as content to fill up your dungeon and entering the ICE contest.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice effects Nomadic! The water effect is stunning I think.
    The blue stones and gold line outside the corridors is confusing me however. You might even want to drop the gold line entirely.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks guys for all the feedback and suggestions. I have begun working on a full blown version of the temple and will put it up once I finish.

I like the transparent background that emphasizes that this area doesn't fit neatly into a rectangle like most maps. It's a good idea, and I think you could probably push that with round and angled structures.

The color choices are lovely, though I agree with the gold line. I like the color, but I'm not sure that's the best way to use it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how i looks furnished.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Ok here is the full sized temple. Thanks for the suggestion to check out the Dundjinni forms (I got loads of symbols to work with now heh). I removed the trim in favor of stepped walls (with a thin stream of water running along the lower step).

This is a temple to the Sisters of the Shell, deities of water, healing, and provision of comfort to others. It is maintained by a priestess and her apprentice whom welcome and purify visitors.

Rooms are provided with thick rugs and pillows for sleeping on (no blankets as the temple is quite warm and humid). Food is provided for the weary traveler, as well as bathing pools and meditation and cleansing areas. The centerpiece of the temple though is the grand pool. A wading pool where followers are cleansed and taught by the local priestess. Also provided in this area are prayer rugs on which visitors may clasp hands and meditate with each other. The room farther in is the shrine (which only the priestess may enter). It is where she cleanses herself and prays to the sisters for guidance. The statues you see all around the place are of the sisters.

All the above was mostly spawned from the fact that I thought a project this big needed a story behind it. On the technical side everything was pretty straight forward. The 3d aspect is from soft inner bevels and the lighting effects come from a mix of area lights and cloud noise overlays. Most of the other stuff is texturing and item placement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple Finished.png 
Views:	1605 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	9895  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks great Nomadic - you going to enter this in the ICE contest?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice use of colors! I really like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast