Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Coral - From Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Map Black Coral - From Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

This is based off of the map at the front of the book, "Toll The Hounds" (the original artist isn't listed on the page so I do not know who to credit) - with my own mapping "style" applied to it.

For those not familiar with the series, the city and some of the outlying countryside is engulfed in darkness (part of the magical warren - Kurald Galain) - thus the cloud-like area over the city itself. The great barrow is a tomb/shrine of a special soldier, it was originally made from various armor/weapons, coins, etc. but since has continued to grow as more and more items are piled onto it.

Feel free to comment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Coral5.jpg 
Views:	11561 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	9901  
    Last edited by Steel General; 02-03-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Great looking map SG, to complement a great series. I think I remember reading that Erikson does his own maps, so it could be one of his.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Thanks Torq...I think you may be right about Eriksen drawing his own maps.

Would like to do some more of these at some point, but I haven't found a many large, high-res scans of the other maps yet.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Rowdy man. The magical darkness gives it a creepy feeling.
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

Nice map :-) The artist who does all the UK MBF maps is Neil Gower. However, Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont (the Malazan world co-creators) drew the map of Malaz City for the limited edition of Night of Knives a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Nice map :-) The artist who does all the UK MBF maps is Neil Gower. However, Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont (the Malazan world co-creators) drew the map of Malaz City for the limited edition of Night of Knives a few years ago.
    Thanks for the compliment and the clarification.

@Gandwarf - I can see where you might think that, but I rather enjoyed the entire series so far. Though I have yet to read any of the Esslemont novels.

Guild Novice

Wow, I love this map, your textures are so realistic !

I am currently reading book 3 and I don't think I am going to finish it. There's far too many characters, religions... and the stories aren't even that interesting. The problem is magnified by the fact that because I am losing my interest, I will put the book away for a couple of days and it becomes even harder to get into the story again.

Too bad, as a lot of people seem to like this series. To me it has become a mess... it's like reading a long and boring manual, where I don't understand half the words used
    (I bought Dutch translations, where normally I would read in English - maybe it's also badly translated)
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 04-15-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Cool (especially for MS-Paint)... I think I read through that thread and saw Erikson's comments on your map. I'd love to do an entire map of the Malazan world.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Love the style - that city looks amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast