Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D modeler, software dev

Post 3D modeler, software dev

Hello CG.

I'm pfunked. I'm a hobbyist 3d modeler and professional software developer. I spend a lot of my free time making RPG graphics and game engines.

I've been working on an isometric map engine for a tactics-style RPG. Also recently I've picked up the 4th ed. D&D core rulebooks. Reading those books makes me want to drop the "RPG" from my game and just make a miniatures engine.

I came here via penny-arcade's blog post yesterday. I realized that with a simple change of camera I can make dungeon tiles you guys may find useful.

Blender and GIMP are my tools of choice, maybe Inkscape for the rare vector graphic. The following are raw renders from Blender with a simple overhead Ortho cam, using the procedural materials options. These images are 600x600, so each tile is 150x150 (which should be fine for home printing).

I can supply the .blend file if anyone's interested; I can also render 300ppi or higher tiles for anyone who wants.

I release all my works under the Creative Commons Share-Alike license (because I also release my code under the GPL, and they're basically compatable). Please ask if you want to use a different license.

[edit] I've changed these tiles to seamless. Unfortunately it cuts the number of unique tiles in half, but the repeating pattern has a stagger that should help break things up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marble1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	9913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marble2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	9914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	9915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	9916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stone3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	9917  

Last edited by pfunked; 02-03-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: changed tiles to seamless

Post Who else likes wood?

And a couple wood tiles and some bricks. CC-SA license.

I'll probably upload more in batches as I complete them. Enjoy.

Name:	wood1.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	9908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood2.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	9909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brick1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	9912  
    Last edited by pfunked; 02-03-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: adding bricks

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Welcome!

These look like they'll come in handy. Thanks for these, and some rep of course.

Any chance of getting those first tiles with a repeating texture on them?

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Welcome!

These look like they'll come in handy. Thanks for these, and some rep of course.

Any chance of getting those first tiles with a repeating texture on them?
    Thanks!

As for repeating, I can experiment. So far I haven't had luck with a straight render, but maybe I can make a huge 12x12 tile render then use GIMP to make seamless tiles out of the center 4x4.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Another possibility might be to get a few separate patterns of a similar style for the 3x3 sets - say 5 of the first style. Then when they are built up to make a dungeon it will look reasonably random.

I'd be interested in the iso tiles as well - I've been meaning to fiddle with iso maps in maptool for a while, and this just might force me to get my act together.

Post Repeating

I changed the marble and stone tiles to a repeating pattern (the wood and brick ones should already repeat well).

Once I render new tiles or some isometric-view tiles, I'll probably start a new thread not in the Member Intro section.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!!

These are great, thanks for posting... I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks Pfunked,

Any chance you could give us some 3d buildings, walls, wells, etc... We can always use homes for our imaginary little people.

Sigurd

Post Buildings

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Thanks Pfunked,

Any chance you could give us some 3d buildings, walls, wells, etc... We can always use homes for our imaginary little people.

Sigurd
    I can, over time. I've been toying around with 3D set pieces but I haven't finished any yet. I'm still messing with matters of scale and other standards (e.g. should a wall fall between tiles, through tile, or both?). Plus I'm not sure whether I should make buildings and split them into tiles, or make lots of tiles I can arrange into buildings.

On my renders I'm using a 1 square = 2 meters, instead of 5 feet. It's probably close enough to not matter but I keep tweaking minute details.

Attached WIP: cathedral, small inn, and some furniture.

Name:	cathedral.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	9924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inn.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	9925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	9927  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pfunked; 02-03-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: I, use, too, many, commas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast