Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: February Entry: the Gempei War

Wow, That is so awesome. I just picked up CC3 and am just starting to learn how to use it. How did you get the land so accurate? Is there a way to import some kinda image to do it like that or are you just that good? Well you are that good but thats beside the point.

Post I didn't use CC3

I'd love to be able to help you out, only I didn't use CC3 to create this map. I use a vector drawing application called Xara Xtreme.

You might want to search for CC3 tuts in this forum, I do believe there is a tutorial for importing outside scanned or digital image files into CC3 to do your tracings and what not.

Basically what I did, I found an accurate coastline map of Japan (found online) imported it and carefully traced it to achieve the detailed realistic land shape. Then started coloring and placing objects. Somewhat similar to how this would be done in CC3 I am sure.

I hope you find what you need and I hope CC3 does for you what my chosen app does for me - good luck!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Hey,

Yah, I found the thread that talks about importing a scan and tracing in CC3. Thanks for the heads up.

CW

Post Inspired by my own map

Threadjack: my gaming group is playing a high level D&D 3.5 adventure series homebrew, where I'm playing a high level fallen paladin/black guard. I had a ring that I thought was regeneration, but it turned out when I died, I was transformed into a death knight - weee!

So inspired by my own map, I decided to give my Black Guard/Death Knight a new personae (I hadn't even named the character before he died.) So now he is the Death Shogun, Taira no Kiyomori.

Interestingly, the actual Taira no Kiyomori, the loser in the Genpei War, is actually venerated by the Japanese, out of fear of his wrath. In the Shinto faith, it is believed everyone becomes gods or spirits when they die and often become ancestral spirits within a given family or clan. Usually a memorial altar is placed in the home for familial worship of lost loved ones. However, some die to become gods of a higher level. Hachiman the god of war, is actually a former emperor from the 4th century.

The Japanese believe that unless Taira no Kiyomori is venerated, he will return to this world and bring wrath and destruction to the Empire of Japan, because was wronged in life. Though he lost the Genpei War, by supporting a legitimate heir to the throne, his cause was a just one.

In the center of Tokyo, between skyscrapers, a small Shinto Shrine dedicated to Taira no Kiyomori sits. This shrine has daily offerings of money, food and other trinkets placed by Japanese businessmen, in efforts to prevent economic destruction to Japan's commerce.

Being venerated and feared, made him the ideal historical figure to define my new D&D character.

End Threadjack...

GP

PS: its been a while since I created an illustration for one of my characters. I decided that this one deserved an illustration, in the style and inspiration of the Genpei War map. Enjoy!

PPS: you know, I think the CWBP needs a Japan like territory, and this guy should be the head honcho for the place - I need an island guys to develope and map this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	death-shogun.jpg 
Views:	969 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	10435  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-16-2009 at 03:27 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice GP, I like it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post My final tale... Yuki Onna

As a last minute bump - and to keep my promise of one more Japanese folklore tale, here is my final post of this challenge thread!

People looking for map updates need to view the second map on page 5 of this thread - that's it!

Yuki Onna by Kiozumi Yagumo

A couple centuries ago, in Musashi province of Japan, two wood-cutters, an old man named Mosaku and his younger associate Minikichi were foraging for wood in the snowy mountains above their village. It was getting dark when a storm approached with fierce winds and heavy snowfall. In a very short time the snow was completely blocking their sight. Minikichi was afright, but Mosaku assured his younger friend, that they were close to a summer shepherd's hut - they would find shelter there.

In less than an hour, they arrived. The shepherd's hut was empty, as it was primarily used during the summer months for the shepherd allowing village sheep to graze the sweet grass of the mountaintops. It was a 2 tatami hut (basically 4' x 8'), with no fireplace and no blankets or supplies of any kind. Not able to keep back the cold, but a surviving chance against the blowing snows outside.

Shaking the snow off their straw snow coats by the door, the two nestled in one corner for some respite for the rest of the night. Minikichi could not fall asleep easily, as the winds buffetted the outside, causing the whole hut to shake with incessant noise. Mosaku curled his legs up into the straw coat and was soon snoring away.

After some time the winds settled down and Minikichi fell asleep. Something aroused him to open his eyes. The storm had abated, the noises were gone, but Minikichi strangely noticed the door to the hut lay open and a cold mist seemed to fill the hut.

He glanced at Mosaku, and noticed a beautiful woman with the palest skin, and bluest lips. She was exhaling a frosty breath onto Mosaku's face. Minikichi noticed Mosaku looked dead, his face and torso thick with frost. The woman turned to Minikichi realizing he was awake.

The snow woman said, "I should kill you too, but I will spare you. You must never tell anyone of what you have seen today, or I shall return and kill you as you deserve!" with that this demon spirit rose and exited the hut with the door seeming to close by itself. Minikichi stood up ran to open the door, but she was gone, and Mosaku lay still, unbreathing behind him.

The next day, he returned to the village and told his family that Mosaku died from the freezing night. They buried him and went on with their lives.

Later that year, during the summer Obon festival, Minikichi was walking the long path to the Temple near his home, where the festival was being held. On the road, he met a beautiful woman. She claimed to be traveling to some relatives in the neighboring province, as her parents perished in a fire and she had nowhere to turn.

It was a long walk, and as one knows, sometimes the eyes can say things of the heart, that is never spoken. Before the end of the path, though they hardly spoke, both were showing great affection with the other.

That evening he walked her from the temple to his family farmhouse. Minikichi introduced Yuki-san to his famiy. She told them her plight and Minikichi's mother insisted she stay with them. They could use help in the harvest, and might do worse in the next province.

After a time, Minikichi's mother suggested the two should marry, as she had grown greatly fond of Yuki-san. They did to the joy and delight of the entire village.

After a few years, Yuki-san had bore Minikichi two sons. They had a happy life during this time. During one particularly cold winter's night, a sudden winter storm whipped outside their home. Minikichi stood looking out the door.

Yuki-san insisted he close the door to keep out the cold. "What are you looking at!" she asked.

Minikichi replied, "The storm. It reminds of something that happened a long time ago." And with that he told Yuki-san of that cold night on the mountain.

At the end of his story, Yuki-san turned stark white and her lips were blue. She screeched, "I told you never to tell of that night, Minikichi. I should kill you where you stand, oh you so deserve it! Because you must raise our boys, however, I shall once again spare your life. Never again speak of this, or I shall come back!"

With that the demon spirit, who was Yuki-san walked out the door and disappeared forever.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-25-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456