Thread: February Entry: The New World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post February Entry: The New World

My interest in mapping actually started from playing around with world and regional maps and redrawing borders. So I am going to hearken back to those fond memories with this month's map.

The map in question is a redrawing of borders on the national scale to create a new North American map. It's basically, if I could redraw the borders how would I do it. Anyhow, here's a little rough preview of the layout with some color to help you pick out what's what. Once I have the layout like I like then I will begin prettying it up and then designing the national flags for each area and placing them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Preview.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	9939  
    Last edited by Nomadic; 02-04-2009 at 02:42 AM.

It's always been funny to me how the US borders are mostly straight lines. My history is lacking but it's probably because the whole thing was divided up at some point... Still, I don't think anything with a war would have borders like this. Just saying. (Of course it could just be a 'border = more or less here' thing because of the scale)

I did the same thing as a kid. At one point I had drew America so many times that I was able to draw borders for every state, (not perfectly obviously) and approximate the capital of each state. After that I began drawing and making up my own borders. Just amazing how kids minds work. Good luck, can't wait to see this.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I did the exact same thing Bo, I did Europe as well as North America and the states. Kinda weird...maybe that's why we're all here
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to get going on this. I also remember the draw the world games (I can get 50/50 on the draw and name the states one for the same reason as bohunk).

Quote Originally Posted by Rahva View Post
    It's always been funny to me how the US borders are mostly straight lines. My history is lacking but it's probably because the whole thing was divided up at some point... Still, I don't think anything with a war would have borders like this. Just saying. (Of course it could just be a 'border = more or less here' thing because of the scale)
    Yea it has to do partly with division. And this has nothing to do with war, this is just how I would divide it up into more nations if I could. This is also just the rough draft so things can change.

Did you happen to catch any of the show Jericho? It only lasted a season and a half, but it was about a small town that survived a nuclear terrorist attack that took out most of the major U.S. cities. At one point, a map is displayed that shows how the territory was divided up by several competing remnants of the federal government, and the border lines are drawn along many state lines--straight and arbitrary.

None of the governments really had the resources to fully control all those areas, but that was how the map was drawn.

It was an interesting concept, but poorly executed.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Did you happen to catch any of the show Jericho? It only lasted a season and a half, but it was about a small town that survived a nuclear terrorist attack that took out most of the major U.S. cities. At one point, a map is displayed that shows how the territory was divided up by several competing remnants of the federal government, and the border lines are drawn along many state lines--straight and arbitrary.

None of the governments really had the resources to fully control all those areas, but that was how the map was drawn.

It was an interesting concept, but poorly executed.
    Yea I did actually catch that show (hooray for hulu). Despite all the logical impossibilities, I still enjoyed it.

Have you tried that online game where you draw the outline of the world, different contries and us-states? You get points for keepin close to an invisible overlay
    I can't find it now, the site is gone. I used to get pretty good points on drawing the world thou.

good Idea Nomadic!

What big kansas?
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

I think I will be dropping out of this one. Not enough time to devote to this map.