Thread: Starstone Region

Post Starstone Region

Here is my 3rd map using CC3. Critique / advice welcomed although I know it is a "busy" map.

As my campaign develops I find the party having to move North through Dwarven homeland territory. I wanted to convey the power they hold over this region.

I have a couple of scenarios in mind, one of which will be "The Land of Song" part 1 from Dragonsfoot. I might have to figure out DD3 for that one!

For those who are interested, this map fits directly onto the Northern edge of the Coranan map I posted earlier.

Bonzer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starstone Region1.PNG 
Views:	99 
Size:	745.4 KB 
ID:	9955  
    We will either find a way, or we will make one.
    (Emporer Hannibal)

NymTevlyn

The bright green beneath the hills and forests is a bit much.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree with NymTevlyn - maybe try something a bit darker than the rest of your "grass".

If it were me I'd replace the dwarven head icon with something else, crossed axes, hammers, etc. - but that's more of a preference thing than a 'ding' against your map.

Otherwise nice job.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You are certainly improving your skills. Some suggestions:

- Some of the hills seem to be placed on top of each other. There's button in CC3 to bring symbols to the front to solve this problem.
    - You are using a standard font, try something new. Lots of fonts can be found at http://www.dafont.com
    - Your grid is sticking out of the map. I am not sure if you really need the grid by the way.
    - The bright green under the hills is indeed too much.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks for the tips each of you. I agree the green is too much, will work on that in my next map, maybe play with this one first. Especially Gandwarf saying my skills are improving. The more I look at this map the more I dislike it. But I do find I am understanding more of the technical aspects. And the Layers / Sheets thing is "becoming" more intuitive. I have just read right through the Profantasy forums, looking to find some answers and learn ideas. I am happy to say that some of the questions raised even I could answer.

I like the grid in place simply because I am used to running a tabletop game with a reference to distances between places. I allow the party to walk about 20 miles a day, and figure this in when placing villages, towns etc as well. I did try to tone it down a bit from the original black though, I think I used some transparency.

As for the font - I was about to post this question on Profantasy's board, and still might as the answer might help some others.
    When I want to select a font I always go to the "More Fonts" window so I can see a preview. In many cases as I click each font the preview doesn't change. Is this...
    1) The font isn't loaded / installed?
    2) It is for a different style of map (e.g. Pete fenton from the annuals)
    3) My printer can't handle it?
    4) CC3 et al is looking somewhere in it's own directory while the fonts are usually held in the Windows or MSOffice folder.
    These are only guesses, and I suspect I am showing that I know just enough to be dangerous.
    I suppose I am wary of downloading fonts as I am not sure where to put them. I usually download stuff to a downloads folder in My documents and click and drag it from there to wherever if I turns out useful (Gandwarfs Cities Tutorial certainly was!).
    Any answers to this?

Thanks again everyone.
    Bonzer
    We will either find a way, or we will make one.
    (Emporer Hannibal)