Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [unpaid] Top of an earthmote map

Map [unpaid] Top of an earthmote map

Hi. I'm a D&D dungeon master and would like to ask if this community can make one overland map for me.

The new Forgotten Realms has earthmotes, basically freestanding islands of terrain. You might have seen similar things on the cover of Yes albums, or in the World of Warcraft zone Nagrand. I would like to see the top of a large earthmote for an adventure site.

The earthmote is 2 miles in diameter at the top. I imagine it has open grasslands, rifts, a keep, a few hills, a mountain, a couple houses, etc. The only thing it must have is a river that spills over the side of the earthmote. Basically a 2-mile section of fantasy landscape, with sky around it.

Can someone help me with this please?

Commission: Unpaid
    Time constraints: Two months
    Style: Overland, non-isometric, colorful Dundjinni style
    Quality & size: Semi-professional, only used for web & home use, dimensions less than 8” x 11” when printed
    Copyright: Artist retains copyright

I've got one such thing already on line, should fit the bill with a little tweaking
    Right now it's just water underneath and it's supposed to be a flying island.
    I'll se what I can do with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Islandexp.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	9974  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I did this a while ago, it could easily be modified for what you're asking for.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Steel General, that's very close to what I was looking for. The sky and ground below is awesome. The layout of the land is great. Based on your description, it's practically the same idea, except yours is a floating castle.

If you were willing to modify it, the castle would have to be removed -- otherwise that would be the world's biggest castle (since the earthmote is 2 miles in diameter). Then just add smaller-scale terrain and it would be an overland map.

That's a really nice map.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrainosaur View Post
    Steel General, that's very close to what I was looking for. The sky and ground below is awesome. The layout of the land is great. Based on your description, it's practically the same idea, except yours is a floating castle.

If you were willing to modify it, the castle would have to be removed -- otherwise that would be the world's biggest castle (since the earthmote is 2 miles in diameter). Then just add smaller-scale terrain and it would be an overland map.

That's a really nice map.
    Thanks... well I'll see what I can do - no promises though.

Edit: Had a little time today...removed the tower and the labels. Added a small river with falls, a small group of houses, some trees, and a trail leading up to a 'keep'. Not sure how well it will fix on a 8x11" piece of paper though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EarthMote.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	10037  
    Last edited by Steel General; 02-06-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Praise Stupefied

This is super! I'm surprised and excited! Look, it's easy to sit back and criticize stuff and maybe we spend too much time finding fault, but this is really fantastic. It's more than I expected was possible.

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrainosaur View Post
    This is super! I'm surprised and excited! Look, it's easy to sit back and criticize stuff and maybe we spend too much time finding fault, but this is really fantastic. It's more than I expected was possible.

Thanks so much.
    Your welcome, let me know if you'd like anything else added to it and I'll try and squeeze it in.

I had some ideas:
    - Smaller earthmotes floating above the mass
    - A bowl-shaped earthmote above the mass with a portal to the plane of water, which pours down onto the land, and merges with the river
    - Portals to the plane of fire, producing lava pools and fire plumes
    - A forest of unusual color like purple

Background: This new fantastic terrain appeared recently in the Forgotten Realms due to something called the Spellplague. Basically two planes bumped into each other, and parts transposed between them. An earthmote is an example. The uncontrolled "wild magic" is gone but it left this extraordinary, exotic terrain features. Earthmotes can be forestmotes, fungusmotes, prairiemotes, watermotes, cavemotes, etc.

Oh and a rift. A canyon or something with sheer sides. Basically the surface is very flat right now. I don't want the PCs just walking up to the keep. I need to divert them around with proper obstacles.

Not sure I'll have time to add all of those but I'll try and get to some of them.

- Forest - I can just change the existing one.
    - Rift - You want it to be an obstacle on getting to the keep? How wide?
    - Portals to Elemental Planes - Have to give it some thought.
    - Don't think I'll have time to add additional motes, that's the most time consuming part

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast