Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: February Entry: Generic warring clans thingy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip February Entry: Generic warring clans thingy

Here's what I've got so far, pretty much what I always do to this point...terrain, color, cities, etc. Gonna work on the shields next which might require a key. What I'd like to do most is put the socio part into this socio-political map but haven't decided on how I want to do that just yet...religion, class, race, or something else.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-09-Cha-Asc-v2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	9970  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Praise Nice start!

As always, nice start, Ascension!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Found another use for my base style...Civil War/early Industrial Age style. It's not exactly a perfect match but it's not too shabby for adding just one layer. Need to add in some old paper color on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-09-Cha-Asc-v2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	9972  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Look pretty sweet so far Ascension.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good my friend.

Kind of surprised you didn't use your 'Antique-style' map for this, I think it lends itself perfectly to this challenge.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Finally I see some boundaries.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Guild Novice
    London, UK. Formally Durban, South Africa.

Dude, you have got to let us know how you got the detail so sharp and BIG. Awestruck, I am

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Go on, I'll bite. What was the one layer you added to get this effect? Looks great so far.

Shad - clouds, difference clouds, hit ctrl-f 19 times to keep doing the diff clouds, delete the blacks and grays, delete everything in the ocean, erase everything around the rivers, chisel soft outer bevel (overlay highlight and multiply shadow), fill to zero = medium sized hills all over the place. I then added 2 more layers of hills with smaller bevels.

Tor - I had done color overlays for my clans (set to hue so as to preserve the bump) then I made a parchment color layer then texturized it (canvas) cuz I wanted to see what an antique map would look like as Steel said, but when I went to change the blending mode I accidentally hit hard mix instead of soft light and voila, little horizontal lines all over that follow the darker colors of the bump. So it's a total Bob Ross happy accident I put a lil woodcut effect in but I don't like it so that's going bye bye to be redone. I'd like to try this on a pic of a president cuz our money has this sort of look to it, although it's more of a crosshatch method that they use it still might be cool.
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-05-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast