Hi guys,

As promised in my introduction post / thread, here is the map set for the planet Arnâron. It is a world inspired by Lowell's Mars and Barsoom, a drying-up desert world littered with the ruins of ancient civilizations and criss-crossed by canals built to preserve what life survives.

Before I destroyed the world, I designed it in its heyday, when it was very much like Earth and covered in oceans. (As a note, the oceans were much more shallow than on Earth; without consulting my notes I am fairly sure the deepest trenches were 3000m deep.)

All of these maps were created with Inkscape.

Tectonic map, with regions of volcanism indicated (black triangles):

Ocean currents:

Wind patterns in "January":

Wind patterns in "July":

Climate zones:

With legend for the climate zones:

Finally, I figured out a rough migration pattern on how mankind conquered the world:

These "past" maps mostly serve as guidelines for me when working with the "current" Arnâron; that's why the climate zones are fairly rough (they are quite unrealistic in part, as I learned from later critique) and why I am quite happy with not fixing the ugly arrows, etc.

Anyway, some time ago the world was shook by a terrible cataclysm of epic proportions, the reasons for which are shrouded in the fogs of time and only re-told in myths and legend. Arnâron gained its two moons, which are consequently named Death and Destruction in the local languages; fire rained from the sky and the oceans boiled away. Hell on Earth and all that. Many centuries later, life and civilization cling on by a hair-thin thread, and the planet now looks like this.

The thin straight lines are the life-giving canals, most (but not all) of which still work. Only major canals are indicated; but state is not. The circles are principal cities. Only the black solid circles are currently inhabited cities.

Rough landscape notes:

Political map:

I won't go into too great detail; Arnâron remains a work in progress, it's not yet "done", but some of you who commented on my intro thread liked the map so I wanted to give you the full set. Hope you enjoy it. Feedback and constructive criticism of my work are always encouraged and appreciated!