Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello World

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map Hello World

Hi guys,

I registered a while ago but never really took part here. I intend to change that, and therefore I thought I'd quickly pop a "hello dudes and dudettes" post in.

My main hobby is world-building, something that I have been doing for many years, and map-making is a part of that hobby. I have recently begun to try and create more professional than just "random notes suitable for an RPG campaign", and practicing my drawing skills is part of that effort. I am still at the beginning of my "career" as a cartographer. I mostly use Inkscape, but am looking at other tools to compliment it.

I should probably mention that I am colorblind (not completely, but quite a limited in what I can perceive) because it will result in weird colors now and then; if you notice anything, please kindly point it out and I'll fix it.

I don't have much to show off yet, my first "real" attempt to create a "nice" map was a Barsoom-like planet. The first completed version was this:

And it mutated into an entirely unique planet, not based on Mars more than in spirit, where the current map is this:

I am currently working on a map for another world, called Thraeton, for which I am using Google Earth for visualization and it's quite interesting to see one's worlds as actual spheres.

Anyway. I'll talk more about that in the proper forums when I have some actual artwork to show. I'm looking forward to learning more about making pretty maps, and to talk to all of you on these forums.

- Nils

Welcome Bart, have some reputation for posting some great maps. I especially like the second map. Really stylish.

Is there a specific reason why you are building your worlds? Like for gaming or because you are writing stories? Or do you do it just because its fun?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Welcome, we had some threads about color perception. It turns out several here are color blind including Arcana the admin and its very common. I also like the dynamic color of the second map - I am just wondering if that was deliberate or not now. I don't think it would hinder you that much tho.

I really like the look of the second map, the colors are very original and works good on a sf map.
    I wonder a bit about the lines on the maps, are they roads or borders? They seem a bit strong too, maybe you can soften them a bit.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

The second map is quite nice, I'm not usually one for bold colors like that but it works quite well - the color scheme is very complimentary.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome guy.
    Have some good work here.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for the nice welcome and the kind words on my map.

Gandwarf, I world-build for the sake of world-building. It did grow out of running role-playing game campaigns, but these days I don't play anymore and world building has become a stand-alone hobby. I do dabble in writing, but that's just another aspect of toying with my worlds.

Redrobes, the colors of the second map should be quite orange-y. That's what it looks like to me, but then again, what I perceive "orange" as is very likely not what normal people consider orange. That's why I mentioned color blindness. I do know it's fairly common, it does seem fairly strong in my case though. Anyway it is good to know that the problem is "known" here, that way when I ever post a pink ocean, people will not assume I am weird and just point the issue out to me. ;-)

Hoel, the straight thin lines in the second map are canals; sorry that I provided no explanation. It's a world patterned after Lowell's Mars - that is, a dried-up desert planet criss-crossed by the ruins of ancient civilizations all connected by canals built by the people desperately fighting to stave off the death of their world.

I have a few additional maps for this world - mostly showing what it looked like in the past - which I'll be happy to post in the completed maps forum one of these days. (Just gotta re-export them and write up an explanatory text.)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love that canali on Mars thing, saw it on a History Channel show once.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A very, very nice set of maps, and Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast