Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thraeton Map

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Actually, I think the color is probably very close to what you want, but maybe make it a tad lighter. Not a lot... just a tad, I think.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like it, it's very clear.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your feedback. I think I'll leave the marsh color as-is... when one is color-blind, it's not a good idea to try and tweak colors too much if they work.

I updated the .kml file and graphics on my webserver, so you can now view the up-to-date map in Google Earth again. Looks like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test20.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	10802

.kml is here:

http://files.pandemonium.de/thraeton/thraeton.kml

PS: Yes many, but not all, of the town names are placeholders.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just keep city of glass...it makes my heart smile since I'm a glassworker.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Hmm looks like I managed to lose my last reply to this thread. Anyway, no matter.

Ascension, "City of Glass" is definitely going to stay. It's basically a high tech colony (21st/22nd Century), and I figured the predominantly low-tech inhabitants of Thraeton (19th Century tech at best) would use some nickname like this for modern skyscraper architecture, and it would stick.

So here''s the current wip of the "eastern" continent, as you can see I am getting to the point where it kinda looks complete. I am fairly happy with this continent, the biggest todos are some rivers and similar details, a few additional lines for the airship transportation network (the dashed yellow line) as well as coming up with proper names for the locations, towns, etc.

Name:	thraeton-sample4.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	10862

The western continent needs work, but as it is mostly uninhabited by mankind it's going to be less work than the eastern one.

I've also updated the map on my webserver, so the Google Earth .kml link above uses the current map.

Blog Entries

Map

I've not done much with this map anymore; I revisted it and tried to come up with ideas I could add or improvements I could make, and honestly all I can think of comes down to actual world-building (nations, towns, trade routes, and that sort of thing). I thus decided I'd post the current WIP and ask you guys if you can think of anything I messed up or something that needs urgent attention, otherwise I'll call this map "as done as it's gonna get".

Some notes:
    - The world was colonized; the native sentients are primitive.
    - It's a parallel Earth and the colonists are from another parallel Earth (several, in fact)
    - The western continent is not settled and barely explored
    - The dashed yellow lines are the primary routes of the airship trade network; airships are used because they require relatviely little infrastructure to use and maintain
    - City of Glass is the highest tech settlement (21st/22nd century technology)
    - Everything else is at best 19th Century
    - "Maple White Land" is a jungle region with many buttes, mesas and plateaus rising above the dense vegetation; it is on these that settlements are usually built, but they are too small to show up on a world map
    - I am not certain the desert on the southern continent is realistic, I might have to redesign it at some point, but for the purpose of simply creating a map it probably works as it is now.
    - Since this is a parallel Earth, it is absolutely the same size as Earth; this will give you a good sense of scale.

Name:	map4.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	870.8 KB 
ID:	11353

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123