17. You may not vote on this poll
  • not for me

12 70.59%
  • Ooh, ooh, ooh, want.

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: evolution map

Post Suggestion: evolution map

This ones a little odd, but how about a map that shows the evolution of life (showing how elves or dwarves evolved from cats or armadillos or something. or the eco system of a planet showing the interrelations of the species.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is an interesting thing to work on for world-building and geek that I am I have to admit I've done that before; however, that's really a flowchart and not a map.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

I am most decidedly against this idea.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Post Its called a "mapping challenge", not "charts"!

Rather negative, aren't we, Bryguy?

Rovingjack, both your suggested map ideas so far aren't really maps, but more charts. Not that there's anything wrong with charts, but we're really mappers here, so that's what we prefer in a "mapping challenge".

If we ever have a "chart challenge" maybe your suggestions would be more ideal. Actually, in the past it was suggested to try illustrations - but that fell through, primarily because an illustration is not a map. The community felt non-maps are outside the category of our interest.

I'd say, steer your suggestions towards maps, please.

We have done a compass rose challenge - I think that was August 2007. Our August 2008, had a requirement of map objecs in addition to the dungeon map. So we do some things outside maps, but still very closely related to maps. You ought to stay within that for future suggestions.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think just a few "No's" would have been enough.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Alternatively you could have a map of migration routes. How a species spread out from its beginnings to where it is now.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Alternatively you could have a map of migration routes. How a species spread out from its beginnings to where it is now.
    You don't have any bias in favor of a map dealing with movement of people/cultures do you Nomadic?

Could make for an interesting challenge.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nomadic's tweak sounds like a decent idea, dealing more with color shapes (sort of like this current challenge with an emphasis on borders) but incorporating patterns as well (like varying orange things for "x" race over time and varying blue things for "y" race).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

OT-ish ...

> Alternatively you could have a map of migration routes ...
    > Now that's begining to sound more 'mappy'.

Are we all beginning to go a little pro-geo high-falutin' mapsnob here?

Is land/terrain a requirement for a map?

I have never thought so ... I extend the word "map" to many forms of information visualization.

But then, pizza counts as a sandwich, in my world.

Hey, I have an evolution map! I did it with colored pencils when I was like 13. I wonder if I still have it somewhere. By God, I'mma seek it in my shelves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast