Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Software to Use?

Guild Member

Post Which Software to Use?

I got a rough map, but I want to make it better.

I have an old copy of CC, Photoshop and Fireworks. I want to take the map, import it, and draw over it. Then begin to add terrain and other objects.

Does anyone have any suggestions what software I might use to accomplish this?

My main software is photoshop elements. I create the worlds in Fractal Terrains then make them into maps using pse 7. For your question I would use pse. Welcome to the guild!

edit: oh and lets see the rough map!
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off... Welcome Aboard! Drop a post in the introductory froum (if you haven't already).

I use photoshop for nearly everything I do mapping wise, for what you are wanting to do I agree with Bohunk that PS (or GIMP) would probably be best.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

What is the difference between PS and Elements? I cant see the difference?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not exactly sure, but I would guess the Elements doesn't have some of the functionality that a full-blown version of PS would have.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to better answer your question.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

There is a comparison here between the two. Of all the differences from the point of view of mapping, not having layer masks in elements is a pretty big drawback IMO. Having said that Bohunk produces some of the nicest maps around, and has just won two monthly contests back to back, so it can't be that much of a disadvantage!

Welcome to the Guild, btw!

Guild Member

Then I will uninstall elements and keep photoshop. I would rather have tools that i might not need then not have tools i find out I need.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do my mapping in Inkscape. Free, and you can't beat it at that price.

Well, I know CC (which version are you using exactly? CC2?) will allow for importing as a BMP or PNG for drawing over and what not.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Not exactly sure, but I would guess the Elements doesn't have some of the functionality that a full-blown version of PS would have.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to better answer your question.
    The difference, apart from the layer masks, is the absence of the CYMK color correction module - which is what makes Photoshop a 1st class professional product for the printing and graphics industry.

Adobe has finally figured out that no one else on the planet needs/wants that feature unless you work in printing/graphics industry.

In other words, stripped down versions of Photoshop are just fine for 99.9% of the public and will never even know what features are missing from the main professional product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast