Thread: Grid fills not aligning properly?

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Grid fills not aligning properly?

I used to create grid sections and place them over my map strategically where I wanted them to appear, but after seeing the fancier maps, I'd like to use grid fills, or even scaled bitmaps with artistic tiles that represent the grid lines...only problem is, they never align with the grid.

Here's a picture of a stone floor multipoly, with a grid filled copy of the multipoly on top of it. The grey grid represent the actual grid of the map...the black lines are from the grid fill. Although I'm using the grid symbol fill here, I get the same issue with scaled bitmap images.

FOr example, if I had an image that consisted of 4 tiles (2x2) and I wanted each tile to represent 5' squares...I would scale the bitmap fill to 10' in theory...but when I do that, although its scaled correctly, it doesn't align with the grid whats the trick I'm missing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gridproblem_192.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	289  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

It's the different origin points. The grid fill and the grid overlay need to both have the same origin. Ralf talked about this recently. I think his suggestion was to put a small polygon at 0,0 and assign the fill you want to use. That will set its origin point to 0,0. IIRC...

Blog Entries

You wouldn't happen to know where i could find where he talked about it do ya? or what to search for? I'll go try.

Actually I see that he replied to the CC2 list already. Nice to see that I was remembering correctly.

I wish the folks that are really in the know would jump over here more. I think they would discover that forums are a lot less work than emails as once something is answered you don't get 50 more of the same answers. Oh well, what can ya do?

Blog Entries

Wait for it to catch on I guess...Simon signed up here though! I imagine if he'd start using the board people will follow his lead since he's a pretty well-followed guy

I saw the reply and I'm going to try again when I get home tonight.

Cool. Hey do we have a specific Q&A/Troubleshooting/FAQ thread already? That would probably be a good place to put solutions as they get posted.

Blog Entries

Yeah I think we should make one up...good idea...I'll start one tomorrow when its not so late and I don't have to go to bed.

In the meantime I wanted to post this image for ralf to see.

Its a 5' square at the bottom-left most of my multipoly. The image thats filling it is a small piece of a 1000x1000 image with 125 pixel wide tiles...which means 8x8 tiles...and the image is scaled to 40'...so one tile per 5' square. Yet its still not quite lining up properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gridproblem2_118.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	290  

Professional Artist

Would you try doing the same thing with a symbol fill (5' square)? I really can't say how the bitmap fills work - might have to do with the way CC3 handles them.

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
    I wish the folks that are really in the know would jump over here more. I think they would discover that forums are a lot less work than emails as once something is answered you don't get 50 more of the same answers.
    Ha! I'll believe that when I see it. I found in my experience that forums are no better than mailing lists in this regard. People still ask the same old questions again and again.

And to be honest, I find mailing lists much easier to handle, because they are less difficult to navigate, have no need to load graphics and layout, and are easier to read (with the right mail client of course).

I think that is usually caused when there isn't an obvious place for all the questions and there answers. I'm on a lot of forums, and I've seen them work the way you say and the way I've said. It just takes some attention to detail and good organization at the very beginning. Since we are essentially at that beginning and Rob has a good eye for detail already I think it can be successful here.

If loading up layout is slow, I'm betting that Rob could add a "low level of graphics" layout that is essentially just text and allow the users to choose the layout they prefer.

Regardless, I still stand by my assertion that a forum is still a better format, but YMMV.