Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Developer getting his feet wet in Cartography

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Even after a thousand years, depending on how big of a nuclear war it had been there would be residual radiation, certain hot spots that still burned the living and would be no man zones. Perhaps inhabited by radiation zombies!
    Nah the radiation from nuclear weapons doesn't last that long. It gets washed away or blown away fairly quick (a good thing too or hiroshima and nagasaki would still be wastelands).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Radiation zombies sound uber cool though
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Nah the radiation from nuclear weapons doesn't last that long. It gets washed away or blown away fairly quick (a good thing too or hiroshima and nagasaki would still be wastelands).
    Well, that depends on the power of the weapon as well as the radioactive material being used. The WWII bombs are hundreds of times less powerful than those in use today and used materials with a shorter half-life that what is used in modern missiles.
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 02-06-2009 at 11:00 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well, I won't weigh in on how long the radiation would hang around, but I will say Welcome Aboard. I have, since finding this place, regained a good portion of inspiration when it comes to mapping thanks to the tutorials and maps of others, many of which simply amaze me.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Well, that depends on the power of the weapon. The WWII bombs are hundreds of times less powerful than those in use today.
    No the power actually doesn't have much effect. The stuff that makes an area radioactive is the fallout. Fallout is something that washes away. Over time the wind and rain moves it into local bodies of water which carry it downstream where it dissipates and becomes fairly harmless in the ocean or another large body of water. The exception to this is the blast zone itself where the ground is literally irradiated. In a ww2 weapon this goes away fairly fast. In a modern weapon it could last a fair bit longer. Granted if you detonated enough nuclear weapons you could indeed see massive irradiated areas for thousands of years. At that point though, there won't be humans (or much else above single celled organisms).

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    No the power actually doesn't have much effect. The stuff that makes an area radioactive is the fallout. Fallout is something that washes away. Over time the wind and rain moves it into local bodies of water which carry it downstream where it dissipates and becomes fairly harmless in the ocean or another large body of water. The exception to this is the blast zone itself where the ground is literally irradiated. In a ww2 weapon this goes away fairly fast. In a modern weapon it could last a fair bit longer. Granted if you detonated enough nuclear weapons you could indeed see massive irradiated areas for thousands of years. At that point though, there won't be humans (or much else above single celled organisms).
    Sorry I did not specify this in my original post (edited before your response) but I mentioned that. However, by power, I meant raw blast radius which would disperse fallout material over a larger area.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just finding debris and random litter is no fun though, so if this is a cinematic type setting (and it is if there's magic in it) including more fully surviving cities is perfectly okay! Yeah that sort of genre has been done before, but post-apocalyptic is one of my absolute favorites. I guess that comes from growing up in the late 70s and 80s, when death by nuke was a daily possibility.

And welcome to the cartographers' guild!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I always go back to Mad Max as a first thought, but now I add in a bit of I Am Legend...still thinking about radiation zombies...how freakin cool is that?!
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    It kind of reminds me of the Aftermath RPG........
    OMG...haven't thought about that game for AGES. Only played it for a few months though. Liked the technical detail to it though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I always go back to Mad Max as a first thought, but now I add in a bit of I Am Legend...still thinking about radiation zombies...how freakin cool is that?!
    Let us not forget Damnation Alley (so-so movie, great book).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12