Thread: Aloha!

Guild Applicant

Post Aloha!

Hello everyone. I am a real newbie when it comes to map-making but have been fascinated with them since I've been able to read. I am a botanist and the most real-world application I have with cartography is interpreting forest maps to do surveys and also work with GIS- related products. Most of my own fictional maps I have been hand drawing. I am debating on getting Campaign Cartographer 3 or not.

I am mostly interested in doing this for making maps for a story I am about to write. It helps me imagine the world better to have a map or set of maps to go by. I also have some interest in gaming (D&D back in 1982) and am excited about a new RPG from BioWare called DragonAge, so am hoping to get back in it somewhat. Sorry, no maps yet to brandish about but am rather impressed with what I've seen.

Welcome to the Guild, Kyuss! It's great to have a botanist on board! Hope to see lots of comments from you on vegetation placements in maps! Even if you don't post any maps, please feel free to comment (constructively) on the maps you see!

all the best and enjoy your stay at the CG!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the CG

enjoy and like ravells said, critique away if you have knowledge that could help improve any maps you see. Even stating your opinion is a great help.

And is GREATLY encouraged, but play nice.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Hi kyuss303,

There's some great tutorials on this forum using free software like The Gimp. So you could try those out right away and see if you like the software.

I am a Campaign Cartographer 3 user (I mostly use the City Designer 3 addon) and I think it's a really great program. There's a small price attached of course, but Profantasy have a 2-week money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase:
    http://www.profantasy.com/community/...p#satisfaction

In my opinion it's really easy to create a decent looking map with Campaign Cartographer 3. Easier than with Photoshop for example. But if you get really good with Photoshop you can create very uniquely looking maps. Also the advanced functions of Campaign Cartographer 3 take a lot of time to get used to. But the same goes for software like Photoshop or The Gimp.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hey welcome to The Guild. It's great to have another diverse background come in to the fold here so you should find yourself being of much use.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard!