• Yep, I like it

13 76.47%
  • No thank you

4 23.53%

Thread: Species Migration Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Species Migration Map

Ok well I offered this up in the evolution map thread. There seemed to be some interest in such a map. So as not to derail that thread we will move the question over here.

Would you be interested in a contest where you design a map and then plot migration routes for a species as it spreads out from its cradle into new parts of the globe? The most common versions of this type of map are the human migration routes with all the arrows moving out of Africa. However, someone else suggested using gradients to represent different times in history during the migration. I am sure there are also many other ways you could show how your group traveled outwards from their birthplace.

Edit: Bartmoss has a very good point so then not just any specific migration map but any map that shows the travel and wanderings of a group. It could be a new species, the colonists of an empire, etc etc.
    Last edited by Nomadic; 02-07-2009 at 02:55 AM.

There's no reason* to make such a map in 2D. If you animate a 2D map across time, that's a third dimension. Or if you animate a spatially 3D map across time, that's 4 dimensions. Add a scrubber and a proximate-data fader, and you're gettin' really sexy!

*Except the cost in time. Or the cost in materials/technology. Or a flat-out lack of ability, which would be my excuse.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it, but I would suggest extening it: Make it a general migration map, perhaps? So you could track either a species, or the expansion of the colonies in the new world, or mankind as it settles near-earth solar systems? Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I like it, but I would suggest extening it: Make it a general migration map, perhaps? So you could track either a species, or the expansion of the colonies in the new world, or mankind as it settles near-earth solar systems? Just a suggestion.
    I think that would work and would be within the scope of a migration map.

Guild Novice

I´m working on something like this.
    Starting at the year 0 and ending I don´t know when yet.

I´m having trouble finding accurate mapped data and I´l need to get me some animation program that I can learn to use.

This be a summer project, or maybe longer.

Edit : Just found two delicious animated maps of the roman and byzantine empire, both spanning more then a 1000 years.
    Last edited by beriothien; 06-05-2009 at 05:20 PM.