Thread: Greetings!

Post Greetings!

Hello everyone,

I'll keep my introduction short, so..

I was searching for good cartography software (freeware) for creating
    a map for a campaign, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Even some
    of the commercial products didn't produce the kind of end results I had in mind.

After searching for hours I finally stumbled upon this site and found some
    interesting tips about creating terrain, using textures and so on. It really didn't
    take long for me to decide to register and join up.

..so here I am, armed with photoshop, trying to create the map I had in
    mind. (I have given up hope for finding a piece of software that could have
    made this process much easier).

EDIT:

Here's a sample of what I've managed to do since joining:
    Last edited by Jykke; 02-07-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Adding a picture.

Welcome gentle sir.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Well not sure about making the process easier, but GIMP would have been cheaper (its Free!). But since you have photoshop I encourage you to check out some of the tutorials here.

EDIT: Since you've added a map - nice start by the way... I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    Last edited by Steel General; 02-07-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild. Many here are strong in the Phorce or G-phorce (photoshop and gimp) so post early and ask questions, you'll be a wiz in no time.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hi Jykke-

Nice map! (though I did get hit initially with the "rivers look raised and mountains look like pits" that happens when ever someone sets their lighting from the south )

-Rob A>

Welcome to the Guild! There are lots of excellent tutorials for photoshop and Gimp (which you can replicate in photoshop). You'll be producing excellent maps in no time!

Blog Entries

Hi Jykke, Wilbur is a height map editor is used quite widely. Terragen is a pretty amazing height map to 3D world generator which could maps just like that from above or any other direction too. Both are free or free for non commercial use.

L3DT standard edition is free and does nice terrain modeling and rendering which includes a 3D viewer and a lot of processing for erosion and so on.

I would suggest trying some of these tools as using a height map instead of just textures makes life a lot easier.

Welcome, theres several good terrain guys here to answer questions or get some inspiration from your stuff.

Thanks for the good tips & warm welcome. I'll test those recommended programs out and post the results later on

Welcome to the Guild Jykke. Its good to see you are jumping right in an posting your stuff. I look forward to seeing more of it. Enjoy it here, I'm sure you will.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Welcome to the Guild!

Keep up the good work!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave