Thread: Voidgere

Guild Member

Post Voidgere

Recently joined the community (saw your link on Penny Arcade and it came with raving reviews).

I'm working (and have been doing so for about 2 years) on an PnP RPG project. My map making experience is limited to hand drawn on the spot type work.

From what I've seen on this website, I'm years behind anything here. However, the nature of the beast has forced me to learn several skills in order to complete the project and it just so happens that map making is going to be the next one I must learn.

These forums seem to contain master craftsmen in their chosen field and so I humbly approach in order to gain some semblance of skill in the exciting art of Cartography.

I am seeking any and all forms of advice or instruction. I will begin by maybe making some maps and letting you guys pick them apart and tell me what I can do to improve.

**Edit**

I have the following software that I use for photo and image design/alteration.

Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Image Ready
    Macromedia Fireworks
    ...and a very old copy of Campaign Cartogrpher

I was thinking of getting GIMP but I've been told that Photoshop is a better program.
    Last edited by voidgere; 02-07-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Post Welcome to the Guild!

Well, that's the best way to learn, Voidgere! Post what you got - we won't be too harsh, but we can definitely give you some direction. You'll be surprised at how short a time it takes to get good and creative with your cartography. Just practice, listen, and try again as your best methodology.

We're an unofficial academy of cartography, here at the guild. Others will agree.

Welcome to the Guild! I look forward to seeing your maps!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voidgere View Post
    I will begin by maybe making some maps and letting you guys pick them apart and tell me what I can do to improve.
    Very good start doing that

What sort of software are you using? If you have not yet decided there is the Software Discusion Forum thatwould be a great hand in choosing one or three

Regardles of the prog you choose, there are tutorils in the Tutorial/How To Forum that can be applied to soooo many different progs with only minor tweeks. Another way to learn is to check out the Work In Progress Forums to pick up tips and finding techniques that you like the look of.

And the best way to learn is to do what you are planning on doing anyway: Post, Post, and did I say, Post your maps as they develop.

:edit: NINJA-ED !!!!!
    Last edited by Korash; 02-07-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Doh!!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Post 'em If Ya Got 'em...maps that is.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If you want to improve your mapping and pick up some tips, you've come to the right place! Most of us are not professional mappers by a long chalk (although we have a few of those here too). Everyone here is friendly and eager to share ideas and knowledge.

All we ask is that you do the same!

Welcome to the Guild!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave