Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scepter Tower of Spellgard

Guild Journeyer

I was just about to make the same request and I come here and see these great maps. Good scale for maptools as well. Please upload more

I'm just finishing up the catacombs, but I'm going to warn you ahead of time that I did it quick, and I made a lot of renovations.

Here are the catacombs. Again, I'm sorry it's so sloppy, but I'm only making these to have a couple of minutes screen time.

I changed things around for a couple of reasons. First off it was originally like 60+ inches to a side, with a lot of wasted space between rooms where encounters weren't in danger of overlapping. I've never understood why I've never seen a published adventure where each major chunk of dungeon doesn't fit onto a "regulation" battlemat.

Second off I couldn't figure out how the individual "close up" maps tied together around the canal. It almost felt like they gave each smaller map to a different person and left them to figure out how it fit into the big picture. I ended up making the central waterway the primary feature of that main hall with walkways flanking either side of it. I'm guessing that I'll allude to it being used as part of their death ritual or something.

While I was repositioning things, I decided to organize it a little, I didn't see any real reason to make it as asymmetrical as they had it.

Finally I always like to show a little bit of wear and tear inside my thousand year old abandoned catacombs, even if they are magically ensorcelled against the rigors of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catacombs.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	10540  
    Last edited by Nytmare; 02-19-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Guild Journeyer

Yeah, I find the Catacombs are laid out really strangely myself. Your map is a bit better because I can figure out where everything is on it. That's really my main requirement

In my opinion, your map is more practical than what's in the adventure book 2. I was wondering how you were going to position the rooms as, like you said, they are very spread out one from another. The way you did it is straightforward and much easier to understand.

Thank you again for your time, your maps are really great!

Guild Journeyer

These maps work very well.

Nice squares making things practical to see in maptools is always an A+ in my book.

Hello Nytmare,

I was just wondering how was your progression with these maps? My players are currently at facing Barthus so they will soon be out of the catacombs.

I've no intention to put any pressure on you to finish the maps, but I'd like to know if I should go with plan B (handmade maps).

Thank you!

Sorry about that, I've been busy with work and my game got postponed a couple weeks in a row. I'll start working on the bottom of the tower and see if I can get it finished. If not I'll be able to at least get a bare bones version of it out there for you.
    Last edited by Nytmare; 03-26-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: I never learned how to spell.

Wow. So I drew up the map almost exactly how they had it layed out in the book and couldn't figure out how you were progressing from room to room. Then I realized that they were laying the maps out from left to right, but the party was travelling from right to left on each map, in the opposite direction of the arrows on the stairs. Part of it is the fact that I haven't been able to get much sleep lately, but man is that a silly way to lay out a map.

If I had figured out the layout earlier, I would have futzed with it and tied things together better. Actually, it's probably going to be another two weeks till my game picks up, maybe I will.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tower.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	11774  

Hey these are sweet, thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast