Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February Entry: League of Major Realms

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcberry View Post
    ### Latest WIP ###

The question is, though: is the map too busy now with all the labels for cities/rivers? Is there anything I'm missing? Should I include the ruined city of Mons Regalis, capital of the former Expositus Kingdom?
    I don't think so at all... I'd say go ahead and include Mons Regalis.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing that I would suggest is that the map reflect more accurate fanbases...until the 1950s when the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to L.A. St. Louis was the furthest team west and as such pretty much dominated everything in the midwest, west, and south. It's pretty hard to depict fanbases visually so maybe do the map according to how just one team thinks it looks like (how Boston perceives Red Sox nation looks like despite true facts). Or you could use the sphere of influence to reflect power as in World Series titles, where the Yankees would have a huge area followed by the Cards, etc. I'd also say that it isn't cluttered so maybe add in minor league affiliates with smaller shields, color banner, or some sort of army icon...I dunno. In the meantime, pitchers and catchers report tomorrow so I'm excited
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    In the meantime, pitchers and catchers report tomorrow so I'm excited
    <slight threadjack>

Ugh! Baseball - I just can't get into it, to slow, and to many overpayed, whining babies scratching their crotches.

I know lots of people love the game and that's great for them, but I'll stick with hockey and (american) football.

</slight threadjack>

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

@Ascension - My map is largely based off the CommonCensus MLB map found here: http://commoncensus.org/sports_map.php?sport=2 . So, that's the mapping system that I've basically committed to. And with the Angels signing Abreu, I am incredibly excited for this year.

@SG - I'm a big baseball fan (obviously), I suppose my appreciation for the game mainly comes from growing up watching it with my dad and going to lots of games growing up. To each his own.

### Latest WIP ###

Mainly just added the former territory of the Expos. I played with different ways of degrading the Expos coat of arms, but transparency was really the only one that worked out.

---

I'm playing with different ways of showing minor league teams, but none of them really seem to be working out. I'll keep plugging away, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bsblrlms-01h.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	10352  

Having lived there for a good portion of my life I know the minor league team in Buffalo, NY (AAA IIRC) is/was very popular. There were years that they outdrew some of the MLB teams in attendance.

I'll just have to do a map of the football staes of europe...
    THe thought of a world series with 3 (?) countries participating is nothing bit pathcetic.
    Sorry
    /barbarian Hoel

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hope you don't include the subdivisions...England has like what 6 or 7 divisions below premiership (northern isthmian league? really? do they count every beer league as a valid league? )
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, it's just the two nations represented in the World Series, but players from many nations make up the US Major Leagues, and when the World Series originated in 1903, the United States was where baseball was played at it's unquestionably highest level.

The World Baseball Classic, which will be played this March, tries to make up for this discrepancy, though; the World Series' name is just a matter of tradition.

oh, you colonials with your quaint notions
    Sometimes drunk ideas are good.. I didn't even remember writing this.
    Ascension: Sub divisions might be in there as counties or something. I have to mull the idea over first.

Added AAA teams.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bsblrlms-01i.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	10427  
    Last edited by tcberry; 02-16-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast