Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bretoria - by pasis

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Map-crush = not gay...not that there's anything wrong with that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow...haven't seen anything that beautifull in a while. Just the enorm size of it shows how much love for details is in it. I am speechless.

Regards
    Benarius

Most excellent!

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm envious of your abilities.

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Uniquely lush textures have me staring at and lost in your map for long periods. Thank you for the experience!

This is a gorgeous map. I like the softness, the color choices, and the painterly rock/mountain/earth components best. I think in a few places I could make suggestions that might help unify the look:

Some of your textures have a narrow black outline around them, like the forest areas. Removing or blurring this would help prevent them from looking like they are floating/separate from the terrain.

Likewise a brown rather than black coastline outline (or a less opaque one) might appear to blend in with the rock more naturally. Outlines always flatten the depth of field and work against your illusionistic quality.

It would be great to see the structures depicted from a bit of an overhead angle to conform with the birds' eye view of the terrain; most of the structures aside from the towers for some reason appear to be viewed sort of head-on instead of at the oblique angle. They, too, sometimes have outlines, and this might be hard to get rid of but if possible, I'd suggest it.

Hope the suggestions are useful. I like the watercolor-ish quality you've gotten and I'm thinking this is ideal evolution of the colorful fantasy map; closer to looking like an aerial view and not at all cartoonish. Great stuff!

Thank you everybody for your kind words and comments. This was my first digital map and we have a roleplaying world behind it which partially explains the artistic choises I have taken. I learned a lot while doing it but I wanted to be faitfull to the style I had chosen.

It's awesome. Hope I ever make something that nice.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

I've comment on this map before, just wanted to let the maker know, it's one of my favorites on this site. I just stare at the detail for hours. I know you used google earth for those mountains, then some ps filters. You've blended them perfectly into the theme/style of the map. Excellent job.

I echo the above comment. I think this is my favorite piece Ive seen so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast