Thread: Regional Map (simplistic)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Regional Map (simplistic)

Hello again!

This is my current project, a regional map of an area below my previous Trader's map. The trader's map used a bitmap background, but this time I am thinking of just leaving it blank and having the whole map B&W. I will post updates every now and again whenever I have time. Hopefully it will be finished in 3-4 days.

The area has a main city, Völušpá in the upper left surrounded and protected by mountains (perhaps even hewn from said mountains). The two smaller towns would be a large port town, En (south), and a smaller mountain/plains town, Erket (east). The center area is a large plains area with a huge mountain unnaturally made and large rifts and chasms surrounding it from tectonic shifts and dark magic. The upper edges are the mountains from the Trader's map (Erek-en-Ghel) and the river is the same (Kanes-en-Drita).

What I want to be able to convey is a lonely place that was the scene of an ancient battle which caused the central area to rupture and shift making an unnatural large mountain.

I also am looking for help on creating a decent map scale. The one in the Trader's Map does not keep the fonts. In the symbol manger, the Celtic-1 font shows well and the text 'Scale in Miles' is centered, but once the symbol is made, the font does not get saved and instead arial font is shown with the text shifted to the left. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

---- EDIT ----
    The map is made in Campaign Cartographer 3 using lots of CC2's hand drawn symbols as well as the DS_Celtic-2 font and Dwarven-2 font. Forgot to add this, sorry!!!

--- EDIT 2 ---
    Posted final map (pending). Hopefully this will get decent reviews...

--- EDIT 3 ---
    Ok, updated final map on page 2 of forums. If it doesn't suck, then I will post it in the finished map section. Huzzah!

--- EDIT 4 ---
    FINISHED!!! Thanks to all who helped! Check it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Area Map of Erek-en-Naharenden v3.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	678.7 KB 
ID:	10186  
    Last edited by shpena; 02-10-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Changes per suggestions
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due