Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February Entry: The battle for post-apocalyptic Ohio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post February Entry: The battle for post-apocalyptic Ohio

WIP for February Challenge

I created this map of a heavily divided post-apocalyptic Ohio for a strategy game I ran almost 8 years ago. This original map is sharpie and colored pencil on xerox paper, and will be serving as my starting point for a political map, which will hopefully look dramatically different.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plainwld.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	10105

For the challenge, I'm going to completely redraw the map, adding terrain features, and clear political divisions.

I believe that I am speaking for all of Lake County when I say: we got dissed!

Looks fun! Can't wait to see this. How was dudhole lake formed?
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Post REP for your first map.

CBDroege, by tradition I usually give REP to the new guy who posts a map. Congrats, have some REP! I look forward to see where this goes.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Woohoo! More entries.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Born a mountaineer in Morgantown, I'm gonna invade that eastern border and get me some lakefront on Dudhole
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

When The 2 Minute War began, there wasn't much time to make decisions. The legendary figure known to the people now only as The Last Governor, broadcast a single final order before the bombs struck: If any region happens to survive the attack, they are to follow their County Sheriff as leader until further notice. Then, the capitol went silent. Three quantum bombs struck the land, but none of them were as devastating as expected. An attack which had been carefully orchestrated too destroy the entire NAA had missed a small area. Was it chance, or or did this region have a friend among the enemies? That answer may never be found...

Here is the WIP on this entry. I've redrawn the border and water as a starting point. I don't plan for the black line border to remain on the final map. It exists now only as a guide for my reference.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Shadow Era water.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	10224
    Last edited by RobA; 02-11-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added WIP tag

Nice map.
    You are forgetting to put the WIP TAG.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

While huge portions of the land had been destroyed or covered with ash, and others either crumbled or flooded as parts of the land rearranged themselves under the influence of the bombs, there were still 53 counties which did survive, and as ordered, each began to fend for itself under the rule of its sheriff. Lack of communication infrastructure and centralized power, each county became as a separate political entity, each with its own ideas about government and power. As the generations past, each county began develop its own manor of rulership. In some place the descendants of sheriffs called themselves kings. In other places the office was elected, and the rulers had taken to calling themselves Presidents. In still others, the rulers saw their lands as a place of equality, and the peasants called each other "comrade". 53 distinct governments for the 53 counties of The Known World.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Shadow Era terrain.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	10451

Wip

More than 400 years passed in this semi-peaceful state before the leaders of the World Collegium in West Crawford proposed a unified government. They sought to allow each county to remain independent, but unified under a single leader for purposes of regulating trade and resolving disputes. It took a generation to come to fruition, but the world had its elections, and a man named Chalmer of Deleware County was named the first governor in almost 500 years. The Known World experienced a golden age of peace and economic ties for 32 years, when Chalmer's reign came to a sudden and bloody end.

-

I've added the political boundries, and the blanks for the heraldry. I'm not sure how happy I am with all of the border colors I've chosen, espessially the white, neutral territories.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Shadow Era borders.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	402.7 KB 
ID:	10550

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast