Thread: Help with pattern stamp in Photoshop!!!

Question Help with pattern stamp in Photoshop!!!

Is there a way that you can scale the pattern that you are using with the Pattern stamp?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Huh, I dunno. I've only used the tool once or twice in my life.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Me either...and every time I try it frustrates the poop out of me, so I give up.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think you have two options..

create the pattern on a new layer, scale that layer to the size you want. crop out the areas you don't want.

The other option is to make a pattern at another size to begin with.
    So take the pattern, stamp it once into a square. Resize the square and then use define pattern and save the new size into the library.

-D

I don't know how to change the scale on the pattern stamp. But... you can achieve the same result using a layer mask! When you first look at this, you might be intimidated. But this is very simple, once you get the hang of it.

1. I'm starting with a generic background (just for fun).

2. Create a new layer

3. Use the paint tool, and fill the new layer with black. (It really doesn't matter which color, as long as the layer isn't transparent. This is required for the next step to work)

4. Goto the Blending options for that layer (right click on the layer, and select "Blending Options")

5. Select "Pattern Overlay", pick your pattern, and set your scale. Click "OK"

6. Now add a layer mask.

7. Make sure your layer mask is selected (it's the white tile on your layer).

8. Get your paint tool, and paint it black. You'll find your pattern has vanished... for now.

9. Now the fun part. Grab a brush, pick the color white, and brush in your new pattern.

10. If you aren't happy with your pattern's scale, go back into Blending Options, and change your scale:

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Asharad; 02-05-2009 at 06:46 AM.

I have one more thing you should know. If you make a mistake, and want to erase part of your pattern, don't use the eraser tool. Instead change your brush color to black, and start brushing out the parts you don't want. This keeps your pattern from being destroyed, in case you decide to brush it back in later!

Quote Originally Posted by Asharad View Post
    I have one more thing you should know. If you make a mistake, and want to erase part of your pattern, don't use the eraser tool. Instead change your brush color to black, and start brushing out the parts you don't want. This keeps your pattern from being destroyed, in case you decide to brush it back in later!
    I agree. using layer masks in GIMP/PS is an incredible non destructive technique. As Asharad mentioned, using the eraser on you main layer will permanently destroy your pattern, while painting black/white onto the layer mask will modify what shows through and can be changed at any time.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Are you trying to draw the same stamp over and over, but at different scales each time?

No, I was just trying to reduce the scale. The layer mask should do what I wanted. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    No, I was just trying to reduce the scale. The layer mask should do what I wanted. Thanks!
    No problem. I hope it helps.