Thread: How to add clouds or fog to an existing map in GIMP?

Question How to add clouds or fog to an existing map in GIMP?

Hello cartogaphers,
    I'm in the process of creating a map for a seaside adventure's location and I'd like to add a layer of thin fog on top of the map. The fog should be transparent and shouldn't hide the features of the map, only obscure them in some places. It's really just to set the mood for the creepy adventure that'll take place there.
    How would you manage this?

Blog Entries

In a VTT we just add a token which is a semi transparent PNG with a tint. Like this...

In PS etc just add a layer, fill it with blue, white or orange and whack down the opacity.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

In Gimp create a new layer above the map. Take a large fuzzy brush (size of 50 to 100 or more) and a very light blue. Paint in the regions you want to be misty. Don't be afraid to go too heavy, you can always lower the opacity of the layer to get back the map.

Question Fog script?

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    in Gimp 2.6 there is a filter Filter>Render>Clouds>Fog that produces a semitransparent random cloud layer.
    Are you sure that's not a homemade script that you've got installed? I've got GIMP 2.6.5, and I don't have the Fog option in the Clouds submenu. I've got Difference Clouds, Plasma, and Solid Noise there, but no fog.

Granted, it would be easy enough to make a new layer on top of your map, render some random noise, and reduce the opacity somewhat (depending on how thick you wanted the fog). Maybe change the layer mode to overlay as well?
    I think I've had this Deja Vu before...

http://gimp.sourcearchive.com/docume...py-source.html

That is the source. Put that into your plug-in's directory in a file with a .py extension. you will of course need to have Python support installed for GIMP prior to it working....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by sambrookjm View Post
    Granted, it would be easy enough to make a new layer on top of your map, render some random noise, and reduce the opacity somewhat (depending on how thick you wanted the fog). Maybe change the layer mode to overlay as well?
    Well... one good thing about the foggify filter is that you don't have to Delete stuff. Normally. noise is either black or white and covers every single pixel in your image in some shade. The foggify filter also addes in alpha to this, so you have patches of (mostly) white colored fog and the rest is alpha instead of black.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by sambrookjm View Post
    Are you sure that's not a homemade script that you've got installed? I've got GIMP 2.6.5, and I don't have the Fog option in the Clouds submenu. I've got Difference Clouds, Plasma, and Solid Noise there, but no fog.
    jfj was right - it is a python script and is installed in the base gimp install.....IF you have python support

-Rob A>

Post Python support

Looks like there was something I forgot to install after I had to wipe my laptop's hard drive after all...

I'll give that a shot.
    I think I've had this Deja Vu before...