Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stern's Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    Thanks, jfrazierjr, and good to hear from you. I actually have followed your tutorial already. It took me days to get it to work right (I had to read it, and reread it very slowly to figure out where I had missed a step). I am going to follow it again a few times until I can do it without having your tutorial displayed in front of me. My initial problem was the channel thingy will only apply 1 selected area, and I want the elevation to rise on both sides of the river. Again, I am probably missing something very simple and it's possible this isn't really a problem, it just threw me (as a new user).

Ok, I've just had an epiphany. I am trying to make two maps, one that looks antique (player hand-out) and another for me (with a realistic look). Thanks, I guess I'm just slow like that (I think I've been confusing the two, or maybe I just haven't been very clear). I think I'll start with the antique looking one, it may end up being the only one. Let me do a little mapping and come back. Somewhere on this site I've seen some beautiful antique style maps, but I'm not sure if I can find them again. Could someone link to a few. I need a good swamp thingy and my forrest could be better, if there is a good example to inspire me.

BTW; check out the first post in this thread. I've already found the torn paper script.

I know there are some nice antique city maps made by a few industry pro's, but I can't think of them off the top of my head...argh.....

Here is my regional map: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3653 (not finished yet)

Pretty much ANY post started by TheRedEpic is a nice antique style map, though regional also.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Colors?

Boy I have a difficult time with the manage attachments window.

Below is an example of how I would add color. Used Bucket fill at 75% opacity. I am not at all certain about it. I could try again using different hues. I like the blotchiness (a certain not-just-faded, the ink is flaking off as well look to it). What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stern's Bridge Player Map, colored2.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	10169

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not sure if I like it or not, it's definitely a different look though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the idea of the fading ink but the flaking off thing is more a problem for old frescoes that were painted with bad paints like DaVinci's Last Supper. I like the washed out colors too. You're on the right path, though, so just mess around with it a lil, it's looking good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Colors, different approach

Ok, by backing up to file called 1st edit, I can work with a flat white image. Then apply torn old paper. Unfinished example below. To finish will require filling a lot of holes. Better?

Name:	Stern's Bridge 1st Editcoloron torn.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1,017.6 KB 
ID:	10173

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like this better, it looks like it came right out of an old book.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I like this better, it looks like it came right out of an old book.
    Agreed

Nice hand drawn city. Like others have said, lots of patience when into this. More than I would have for one sitting, let me tell you.

How long did it take you to draw it originally?

Repped (I hope)
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Select your parchment outline (may have to hide the other layers) shape, Invert the selection and then delete everything on layers "outside" the selection so you have it transparent and then save it as PNG. This will make it look more like a separate parchment and png will likely likely take up less space.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Post Ummm, what?

Quick reply to Korash- Way too long! Days, certainly, but I'm not sure how many. I agonize over very small details.

jfrazierjr- I'm not sure I followed your instructions very well. I did manage to select the area between the paper and the image limits, but could not find 'delete' option anywhere. I tried cutting, to no avail. So I just started looking through the options I did have. At one point I could see the checkerboard behind the paper (though I'm not sure how I did it), but I could still see the parts of the map that ran past the paper's edge under the checkers, so I figured that wasn't it. In the end I filled the selection with white. I then saved it as a .png file. I'm not sure how big it was before this save, but the current image is 6.94 MB. I reduced the image by 50% so that I could post the result.

This is the flat white jpg I'm coloring, also reduced

Name:	Stern's Bridge coloredit2 reduced 50%.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	10187

Here is the result of jfrazierjr's instructions, as well as I could follow them

Name:	Stern's Bridge coloredit3.PNG 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	10188

Final note, I am again filled with uncertainty. Is this the direction I wish to be going? It seems... I don't know, wrong, but I don't know why. Should the coloring stop? Should the hues change? I will continue coloring for now, because I don't have any better ideas, and I know that on completion they are easily restored to white or altered to another hue.

I personally like the way it's going. It has a really interesting watercolor feel to it.

How exactly are you coloring this? The easiest way (if you didn't figure it out for yourself) would be to have the line drawing, the paper, and the colors all as separate layers.

There are also a couple ways you could fill the roads with the paint bucket.
    Last edited by Nytmare; 02-10-2009 at 08:51 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast