Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3d Watch Mechanism D&D Plot Device.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post 3d Watch Mechanism D&D Plot Device.

Thread moved from community leader forum

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to show off my VERY early WIP 3d bits. I'm making an escapement mechanism with balance wheel animation in 3d...I had to show you guys because this is probably going to end up being my next avatar here

If you don't know what an escapement is, its the mechanism in a watch that allows the spring to release itself in intervals that mark the watches movement. The clicking of the pallets on the escapement wheel gear is what makes the tick tock sound. Its really quite cool.

here's a link to an animation slowed down...mine will be close to actual time if I can pull it off...with every click being half a second...and one full swing (tick and tock) being a whole second. http://www.clockwatch.de/index.html?...ec/hem/ank.htm

EARLY...I've modelled the important bits. Still gotta fine tune it...and when I get everything placed right, I'll make it artsy instead of just techy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watchmechanism.png 
Views:	914 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	6329  
    Last edited by Robbie; 09-16-2008 at 11:46 AM.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Artsy? Techy? ... either way it is cool... I wish I could do 3d stuff... but there is something I'll probably never be able to do ... 3d anything...

Very cool tho, can't wait to see the finished project...

And I thought an escapement was a piece of candy that you threw in your mouth after your significant other asks you a question you don't want to answer....

Blog Entries

I just hope it works out in the end...thanks

Knowing a fair amount about 3D already I have to say that I never fail to be impressed by your work Robbie. I wish I had the time to really dip into the 3D tools I have so that I could try my hand at making models for Poser which is the only "toy" I seem to get time to play with other than PhotoShop and that is only once every couple weeks or so.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Eh, keep in mind I've been dicking around with 3d studio since R2.5 Thats a long time ago. Thanks for the praise though...I only wish I was better at it hehe.

Here's an update...I added the balance wheel weights, the ruby pin and all the parts to finalize the action. AND, I created the preliminary action animation. This is a full swing...2 seconds on a standard wind-up wristwatch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

I'm going to have to make the animation longer though because of the tines on the escapement gear...it resets...That may make the file size unmanageable.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Excellent work..! ...

your file size might be unmanageable ... but at least you'd be in sync

I can't wait to see the final version! If you save it as a flash animation wouldn't that cut down the size? I'm guessing our avatar image doesn't allow that though...
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast