Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scales of War Part 01 Rescue at Rivenroar

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice work Cogollo...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Brindol map; working on it at the moment

This is the map I plan to use for the combat with the Ogre (page 14 of Rescue at Rivenroar adventure).

I plan to make a big battle out of it. As we are a lot in my gaming club, I was planning on asking a couple guys that won't play the campaign to come and play with some extra monsters and guards of Brindol to spice things up. I'll make all of them minions (both extra Hobgoblins and Guards) so that they don't take the glory away from the PCs. I plan to make it a big memorable battle, though.

Three of the buildings that you can see (the stables, smithy and the shop between the stables and the smithy) are reused buildings I found somewhere else (I only added a couple things). I have designed the other 4 buildings... was a lot of fun! though time consuming.

I still plan to add something more in this part of town and to add the southern half later on, but wanted to post it here so that you see what is coming...

edit- I have added more details and tried to solve the problems that Hoel pointed to in his post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brindol.jpg 
Views:	2296 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	10402  
    Last edited by cogollo; 02-15-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Good battlemap.
    I can point out a few minor nitpicks
    -The horse seems awfully small compared to the sheep, but it might be a foal or pony..
    -The ground texture is a bit off scale, the blades of grass are huge
    -The drop shadow from the grass is a bit much, maybe bring it back a bit.
    Good work with the elements!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    Good battlemap.
    I can point out a few minor nitpicks
    -The horse seems awfully small compared to the sheep, but it might be a foal or pony..
    -The ground texture is a bit off scale, the blades of grass are huge
    -The drop shadow from the grass is a bit much, maybe bring it back a bit.
    Good work with the elements!
    Thanks a lot for the advice!
    I have never been good at drawing, so every advice I get is very much appreciated.

Thanks for sharing these Cogollo, this is great work. Much appreciated for your efforts.

Ah, tío, me acabas de hacer un DM muy feliz, hahaha. Llevo un par de meses queriendo jugar, y de repente, tengo gente, fecha..pero tengo que hacer de DM, GAH! Y sólo un día para preparalo todo, hehe.

Pienso utilizar un monitor tft sobre la mesa en vez de dibujar o imprimir los mapas, y estas pequeñas obras de arte van genial con Maptools. Ahora, a continuar el curro. Muchas gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by cogollo View Post
    This is the map I plan to use for the combat with the Ogre (page 14 of Rescue at Rivenroar adventure).

I plan to make a big battle out of it. As we are a lot in my gaming club, I was planning on asking a couple guys that won't play the campaign to come and play with some extra monsters and guards of Brindol to spice things up. I'll make all of them minions (both extra Hobgoblins and Guards) so that they don't take the glory away from the PCs. I plan to make it a big memorable battle, though.

Three of the buildings that you can see (the stables, smithy and the shop between the stables and the smithy) are reused buildings I found somewhere else (I only added a couple things). I have designed the other 4 buildings... was a lot of fun! though time consuming.

I still plan to add something more in this part of town and to add the southern half later on, but wanted to post it here so that you see what is coming...

edit- I have added more details and tried to solve the problems that Hoel pointed to in his post.
    Very nice. Much better than the original map, where the bar was smaller than the actual one from the bar map, and where the doors were positioned wrongly.

Ya, I agree with Oren.

I'm just playing through the SoW adventures in my online game, and these maps really are better than the one's presented in Dragon magazine. I love all the extra details you've added to many of the rooms, and it would have been way more fun with your version of the "Ogre Bombadier" map. Your details would make for much better terrain, and If I'd used these maps when I first ran the game my players would have been hungry to know what the "graffitti" said. They're always looking for clues and such.

Very well done.

All,

This is my first psot here and I actually came here via Penny-arcade to look for maps for Rescue at Riven Roar. I can't begin to express how amazing not only these maps are, but how amazing this site is. Great work, everyone!

Now onto the newbie question: What is the best way to print these for use as a battlemap? Does regualr paper work and just tape them together?

Thanks in advanced,
    Ryan

Yep, that's a good way to go about it. To slice up an image into page-sized pieces, the usual recommendation is PosteRazor:
    http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast