Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February Entry: Ancient China - The Warring States

Guild Member

Wip February Entry: Ancient China - The Warring States

I created the below map for the main campaign of the << Qin: The Warring States >> RPG: Tiān Xia.

It is based on the map which is part of the core rulebook. That map is available as a PDF file at http://www.cubicle-7.com/acrobat/qin_map.pdf

In find the latter map extremely beautiful but not very clear. That's why I chose to create a simple political map which is less << busy >>.

The coast lines were taken over from a map of Eastern Asia which can be found at http://english.freemap.jp/

I then added the details such as the cities and the state / commandery borders in Illustrator. The Qin-army symbols were later imported in Photoshop for aesthetic purposes.

This is a historical map, which is fairly accurate. I hope you'll like it, even if it's quite simple.

All the best,

Mogul76

PS This is the first time I participate at a monthly challenge

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warring_States_Mogul76_090209.png 
Views:	3577 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	10172  

Post Just need some crests to complete this!

Thanks for joining the challenge. To fit the rules though, you need to place some kind noble house crests, insignia or other symbol graphic for each of those territories to completely comply with the rules of the challenge. Glad to see another entry!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Oh... ... How could I have missed that. Thanks for pointing that out, Gameprinter. I'll add them at a later stage. As a result, please consider this as a WIP.

Post Cool and strange!

Its both cool and strange, that we've never had an oriental map in a challenge, yet this month we have two!

Check out my Genpei War map, Mogul76 - its Japan, of course, however.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Member

Yeah, what a coincidence, Gameprinter!

So far, I have only created maps for Chinese settings, though.

I'm a fan of the Warring-States and Three-Kingdoms period.

Here's my latest WIP.

I think that the Qin-army symbols didn't match the map style anyway.

By the way, the << state symbols >> are authentic. I was lucky to find some samples on the web.

PS The map which you have submitted is fantastic!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Warring_States_Mogul76_090210.png 
Views:	10073 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	10182  
    Last edited by mogul76; 02-09-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yee-hah! Another entry...

By my vaunted powers as Community Leader... I have updated the name of the thread to the correct format.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice! I developed quite an interest in the Warring States period during a class in Chinese philosophy I took a couple of years ago. It's a fascinating bit of history.

Have some rep for venturing into the Challenge and for a cool map. And for using Illustrator.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Member

Major update:

I decided to change the style of the map and give it an old-school, black-&-white, hand-drawn flavour (I like to look back at the good, old days ). Lots of politically relevant symbols were added. I also drew the 2 most important rivers of China: the Huang He and the Yangtze (the Yellow and the Blue river). The unit of distance was changed from "kilometres" to the Chinese standard "li" (1 li = 500 meters). It's basically still the same map except for the change of style. 99% was done in Illustrator. 1% of postwork in Photoshop.

Hopefully you'll like it, because - as we German-speaking people say - "Ich habe diese Karte mit viel Liebe erstellt!" (I created this map with a lot of love). Constructive feedback is always welcome

Have a nice Sunday evening,

Mogul76

PS Thanks for your interest and the rep, Midgardsormr
    I share your fascination for ancient China.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Warring_States_240_BC_Mogul76_090215_BW.png 
Views:	4522 
Size:	606.2 KB 
ID:	10415  

Praise Nice!

I like this much better, Mogul! The other one looked more like an assignment from a grade school text book (not in the quality of grade school, but style.)

The new one has much more spirit and class, good job!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast