Thread: First draft of map for campaign setting (no labels yet).

Map First draft of map for campaign setting (no labels yet).

Title says it all, what do you guys think? I did most of it using techniques I created by modifying existing techniques in RobA's wonderful tut. A lot of it is my own though.

I took the easy way out on the hills/mountains, as you can see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Known world.jpg 
Views:	767 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	10183  

Good job mate!

I like the little islands. Keep it up!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good, but I have a problem with either the heights, or some of the rivers. The dark rough patches, to me, look to be mountains and thus higher than the light colored areas. I think this is correct, however that would mean you have rivers flowing from lower areas, to the rough patches, and back to lower areas. Obviously that's not going to work. Maybe I am just confused on what's high and what's low, entirely ossible; if so, a legend would be nice (what ARE those rough patches?) and maybe some better contrast for the colors representing heights. (of course, since I am color blind, this might just be me, so do take that with a grain of salt please.)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great start, look forward to seeing more.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Firstly, the map looks good so far, but let me adress something else...

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Maybe I am just confused on what's high and what's low, entirely ossible; if so, a legend would be nice (what ARE those rough patches?) and maybe some better contrast for the colors representing heights. (of course, since I am color blind, this might just be me, so do take that with a grain of salt please.)
    I think you are confused

Possibly because of said color blindness. There are brown patches where the rivers spring from, so I think they're meant to be hills/mountains, which would be somewhat confusing, as the rough patches (probably meant to be woodlands) give off a feeling of heigh, but not the mountains. This would probably need to change, lest the map fools more folks...

Try to make the mountains look 3D and not the woods, for the woods there would best be some other filter used, although I do not know which.

Essentially a reversal of the feeling of both mountains and forests would be needed I think.

Other than that, I like the map though. Very good color-choice.

Thanks for the feedback

Yes, the rough patches are supposed to be forests, and the brownish patches are supposed to be mountains/hills.

I think I might try duplicating the bump map layer and applying a blurred mask so It only raises the mountains. That would solve the ambiguity and make it look a lot better. I will probably redo the forest, what I currently have there is sort of a placeholder until I can find a better way of doing it.

Guild Member

Okay, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had been looking at RobA's mountain tutorial based off this map... and I really want to know how you did the forests! Pleeeeeease?
    Heather