Thread: Talera - A dnd Campaing setting

Wip Talera - A dnd Campaing setting

Hey,

as suggested, I am setting up a post here.

Basically what I am doing is creating a campaign setting for DND (any ed really).

I have already written many a pages on the world of Talera and its kingdoms.

I have only started mapping recently and found a great amount of joy in this and hence have decided to invest way more time into my campaign and maps.

I have attached my first map for the setting. It is of the eastern half of a kingdom known as Burgrundia (Meridon, being the name of that half). Once I have worked more on the actual documents for the settings, I will post a link here.

Now, as most of you using CC3 and being members of the ProFantasy annual will see, I used the tools given to us by this. Ever since Forgotten Realms 4th ed I have fallen in love with that style and hence decided to use it for a few maps.

I do like some of the other styles I have seen, but am not too sure if I should change. Anyway, I am rambling.

What I would like to ask for, is any advice/feedback you might have re the map. I will post updates and more maps as I do them.

One thing I want to note is that in the ocean, there are still quite a few islands missing, but my players wanted the lay of the land so I rushed and left those out.

Anyway, here is the map!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meridon V1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	10211  

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks nice. The only weird thing is the river flowing through the mountain at Teneris, but I am guessing that is a highland / plateau beyond the mountains. Oh, a scale probably would be a good addition.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Looks nice. The only weird thing is the river flowing through the mountain at Teneris, but I am guessing that is a highland / plateau beyond the mountains. Oh, a scale probably would be a good addition.
    It could also be a gorge. The Columbia river gorge is like that. As the cascades grew up it continued eroding at a fast enough pace to cut a gorge through them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    It could also be a gorge. The Columbia river gorge is like that. As the cascades grew up it continued eroding at a fast enough pace to cut a gorge through them.
    But I don't see how that would work unless the inland side of the mountain is very high anyway. Otherwise the water just doesn't go towards the mountains (gravity and all).

Bartmoss, you where right about the plateau. I tried making this more clear by having the eastern side of the mountain 'longer' than the western side. With that I tried to show the height difference.

The reason I did not just make a cliff face look, is that I still wanted the plateau to be surrounded by mounts.

I will also add the scale soon, along with a legend and finish up the islands.

Thanks for the feedback so far though

Blog Entries

Maybe us a cliffface then for the "base" plateau, then put the mountain chain on top of that? I am not sure if that works, visually, but it may be an idea that helps get the idea across.

Yeah, I have tried that before, but the result looks rather like a staggered mountain.

I just had another close look at the map. And I think the problem comes with the mountains ending in the north. I think if I stretch them to pass the map border it will make more sense.

You know what I mean?

Blog Entries

That might work - worth a try. And I thought of something really stupidly simple: Maybe put a label in there saying "Acme Plateau" (whatever its name is). Then that would become totally clear, even if the visuals are not perfect.

Yes that actually that sounds like a good idea. I will try update the map soon!

Thanks for the ideas