Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Award Winner] Clustered houses for a city in Photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Rob -- my goal for this was to keep it simple (since I just kind of stumbled upon it during my Brownstone map) so that you and Red could work your magic I was hoping that you could build upon it to do the thatched roof and tile roof things cuz that's way beyond me...I'm just an idea man, toss out an idea and let others more skilled make it better. I'm sure you two will have something up in a week or so

Hoel -- Exactly, take it and run, build upon it...this is just a simple starter kit. That's what I did on Brownstone, to some extent, but with three different levels of housing (tall, medium, and short houses) but I did mine with more emphasis on the shadows to denote height but I'm sure that you can do up some nice multi-storied houses that cool
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It's a very nice tute. Good work. Having that sun the the SE throws me very time - I'm so used to NW lighting that most of your maps look inverted. I had to downlad and flip your corrupted map to look at it! Nonetheless, this is a very good result on the buildings. I'll have to play with it and see what I can produce in Gimp.

I use the same technique although i use different brush thickness and put some more work on each individual house to make it look more natural.

Great tuto!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm wondering...GIMP does image tubes so what if you took the selection of the streets, increased the size of the selection, then made a path of that selection, then stroked the path with a tube of various house shapes. Can you stroke a path with a tube? Going further, is there a vector program that could properly rotate an image tube to orient according to the path so that the house shapes are not all straight up and down?
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-11-2009 at 05:39 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yep...just look way back to 2007...when I made a GIMP Brush for drawing Buildings.

[edit:] and if you look at the first script in my sig you'll find an easy way to make your own rotating brushes in gimp
    -Rob A>

This is really helpful. I'll have to try this step by step.

The shadowing is well done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123