Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Map - Northern Wilderness - World of Kesumi

What I did was take the northern part of my "The Kingdoms" map and use that as the base for this map. That map was done in a slightly different scale, so the text doesn't show up quite as well on this map. I will redo all of the text.

As for the mountains, it is a pretty simple process in Photoshop. I set up three different layers. The first layer was for the foothills. I set the style to bevel with a pattern that I thought looked good for the hills. Then I used a brush with a rough shape and set the spacing and scattering fairly high and brushed away. I also set the Advanced Blending (In the Blending Options tab) to 0%. That allows the background colors to come through.

I then did a layer for the lower mountains using a similar style, but I set the bevel to use a chisel soft function, and used a brush with a little less scatter and spacing.

I then did a third layer for higher mountains, but set it with a light gray fill to represent snowcapped mountains.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Interesting techniques...I'll have to give this a go. I've been wondering about how to go a step further on my mountains for a while now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ok, a bit of an update.

I have most of the land (except for some islands), the mountains and rivers complete. Now I just need to work on the woodlands.

On this map I have hidden the forest and text layer. I will put them back for the next post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kesumi - Northern Wilderness.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	735.5 KB 
ID:	10339  

Oh, one more thing, I have a question... If you notice the northern part of the map, I have those two major river systems draining into that bay in the north. In my world history, that bay was formed by a major earthquake about 10,000 years ago. It caused a ridge of highlands to raise up in the central part of the wilderness, forcing all of the northern rivers to drain into the newly formed bay.

My question is, does it look possible? If you notice, there are a few points on the rivers where they flow almost in a full circle around some highlands.

I just want to make sure that I don't have any major river violations (I hate those!)

Post Rivers

I'm looking at the northern drainage system and don't think it's "technically" incorrect. It does look a little odd (referring to the close knit drainage divides), but that's just personal taste, a matter of asthetics. Of course, I'm not river police so...

Nice work, btw.
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 02-13-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Add comment about map

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good catch - from the current map it looks like they flow uphill and then into the northern bay. Since they are surrounded by hills, they'd form a lake instead, which would then overflow somewhere, and it looks to me like this should be towards the south.

You also have a great number of rivers there, so there needs to be a great deal of rain. Since the area is almost entirely encircled by mountains my guess would be that the prevailing winds come from the east. Even so there's some mountains in the way. The landmass probably acts as a low pressure area in the summer, drawing in air from the sea to the east. In the winter, the low pressure area moves south and colder air streams in across the mountains to the north; winters might be cold but fairly dry. This is just a rough guess, I have no special qualifications on the topic, my point is that you may not end up with enough rain to feed this many rivers.

What I'd do is remove the northeastern of the two river systems, or at least only have some minor rivers there. Have the northwestern one feed into a lake, and then flow into the big river to the south, the one that eventually returns to the east. Essentially, the area would be drained by one large river system.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    What I'd do is remove the northeastern of the two river systems, or at least only have some minor rivers there. Have the northwestern one feed into a lake, and then flow into the big river to the south, the one that eventually returns to the east. Essentially, the area would be drained by one large river system.
    Hmm. I don't think it's possible for either of the northern rivers to flow into the southern river that drains to the east. He's got a lot of hills and highlands dividing the two drainage systems, so short of water flowing uphill after it's made it to lower lands, there'd be no way for the two systems to connect.

Good point about the rainfall, though, I think. Thus ringed by mountains, this place likely would be relatively dry. On the other hand, I think it would be possible to come up with a plausible reason for increased rainfall in this system. If we did have some of those rivers pooling up into a great lake or an inland sea, the additional water becomes part a semi-closed system, with the rivers being replenished by water evaporated from the inland sea and, say, a few ancient glaciers slowly melting.
    Last edited by Karro; 02-13-2009 at 11:28 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Post Rivers, added notes

Overall impression, it does seem very wet. However, I have only small knowledge of meteorology. Diagram I have of earth wind patterns show westerlies between from 30 degrees latitude to the poles. (Not sure if I can post it here, so I won't, easy to find though.)

Below is your map with what appears to be drainage divides currently defined. There are some questionable areas, but I didn't find anything impossible, with the exception of circled area in NE corner. I don't know if that's possible or not, but I don't like them appearing on my maps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KesumiNorthernWildernessDrainage.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	720.4 KB 
ID:	10346

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Hmm. I don't think it's possible for either of the northern rivers to flow into the southern river that drains to the east. He's got a lot of hills and highlands dividing the two drainage systems, so short of water flowing uphill after it's made it to lower lands, there'd be no way for the two systems to connect.
    Hence my proposal of the lake, which would then overflow to the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Good point about the rainfall, though, I think. Thus ringed by mountains, this place likely would be relatively dry. On the other hand, I think it would be possible to come up with a plausible reason for increased rainfall in this system. If we did have some of those rivers pooling up into a great lake or an inland sea, the additional water becomes part a semi-closed system, with the rivers being replenished by water evaporated from the inland sea and, say, a few ancient glaciers slowly melting.
    Yeah the lake would help. I honestly am not sure it would be enough, but I am also thinking it depends on the prevailing weather in the area. After all, the east is kind of open, and could allow a lot of water-bearing air to move in, especially if the local water to the east is relatively cold.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Hence my proposal of the lake, which would then overflow to the south.

Yeah the lake would help. I honestly am not sure it would be enough, but I am also thinking it depends on the prevailing weather in the area. After all, the east is kind of open, and could allow a lot of water-bearing air to move in, especially if the local water to the east is relatively cold.
    Hmm. That would be a very large lake. And I'm not entirely sure it would easily drain to the south - that's a massive amount of water to accumulate over time.

Landorl, I see the problem, now. The north-east river drainage looks odd because it appears the river is going through the mountains to reach the large bay (same with the river oulet on the west side of the bay).

If that area where the two rivers are draining is legitimately lower ground, and drainage can occur there, then that's fine, but it does look a little odd. If the geological features of this are were caused by an earthquake, and at one point the entire area was highlands, then at some point in the past much of the norther area might possibly have been underwater as rivers coming down from the various mountain accumulated in the bowl of lowlands. Over time, I'm not sure where this would have drained to.
    Last edited by Karro; 02-13-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast