Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Map - Northern Wilderness - World of Kesumi

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You said that the bay was formed by an earthquake that forced up the crescent shaped mountains in the middle there. This would imply that the bay was not there before the earthquake, right? As such the rivers would have been flowing south (probably southwest IMO) before said quake. In order to get the rivers to flow into the newly created bay and still be plausible, the whole middle section of the continent would have to have been raised in order to force them there OR they'd have to be flowing into the fault zone cracks OR said area would have to have been lowered while leaving the mountains in place. I'm just a river deputy so my 2 cents would be to either flatten that crescent mountain shape into hills, cut back some of the crescent mountains to form some drainage lanes, or move that section further south with some lowlands emptying into the bay. This is more of a question for the geologists, though, so I could be way off.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I kind of like the idea of a lake in that area. I have added one, and am posting the results.

The bay that was formed was by an unnatural (magically induced) earthquake. It was during the age that the gods still walked the land, and during a war, a star from the heavens was called down (meteor), and it struck in the mountains here, which cracked the earth and shook the world.

The area between the north and southern mountains is very much like a high plateau similar to what could be found in the western U.S. between the Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevadas. It slowly rises from the east to the west.

The mountains that are in the east are only about 2-5,000 feet tall, where as the mountains on the west (just off of the map) are about 10 - 25,000 feet tall.

The northern mountains are in the 8-14,000 range, while the southern ones are in the 6-10,000 range.

The area where the two rivers drain from quickly drop from an average height of 1,000 feet to feed through two canyons (fracture lines) into the bay. The mountains on the south side of the bay were thrust there by the impact of the meteor, and they are fairly steep, but only run from about 2-7,000 feet in height.

Without doing a height scale map, it is hard to show how the land drops along the two gaps, but I am not very good at doing the height maps, and am too impatient to work at it! I will try to do that after I get the first set of maps done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kesumi - Northern Wilderness.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	495.8 KB 
ID:	10353  

Another new update.

I have made many of the waterways in the west more intermittent streams to indicate that the west is drier than the east.

I have also tried something a little different for the woodlands. I don't have all of the woodlands drawn in yet, but I am getting closer. Still not sure if I like it though because it obscures the highlands so much. I may have to show both maps so that the differences will be seen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kesumi - Northern Wilderness.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	10399  

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The forests look nice.

I like the additions of the lake, but the northn bay problem still exists. Also, it does look like the western river "splits" up and flows both towards the bay, and the lake, and that's not gonna happen.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    The forests look nice.

I like the additions of the lake, but the northn bay problem still exists. Also, it does look like the western river "splits" up and flows both towards the bay, and the lake, and that's not gonna happen.
    I'm confused; I'm not sure how you see that. I see a lot of rivers flowing into the lake, then a river flowing out of the lake into the bay, with a few more rivers joining this outflowing river along the way.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I see what he is talking about. There is a river and a small lake that runs from the north of the main river, and appears to run towards the lake, and meet the river there. I need to change the way it meets the main river.

Also, I am working on making the mountains on the south side of the bay look much smaller.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123