Thread: Greetings & Salutations

Post Greetings & Salutations

I just found this forum. I'm a longtime RPG DM and have spent years making maps & dungeons with various programs.

Over the last few years, I've been using Fractal Mapper and I'm very pleased with that product. I'll post some examples of my work later.

Right now I'm just looking around at the site - paradise for us map-fetishers!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Hello!

Hello, WhiteRabbit.

<< VANDY, looking at his screen name, starts singing Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" (but nowhere near as good as Grace Slick.) >>

Welcome to the Cartographers' Guild. I must say it certainly is a "paradise for us map-fetishers"...

(I don't EVEN want to go into the images THAT phrase brings up...)

I am sure you will be quite happy here. I look forward to your posting your maps and dungeons.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Welcome to the guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the welcome!

To Vandy: Remember what the dormouse said!

As for my own creations, I've got LOTS of continental and regional maps that I really like (I'll post a few later on when I find the right section).

Right now, I'm mostly focused on doing a workable town map (walled medieval town, 5-10k pop) with as much detail as possible (street names and individual buildings). This has taken me dozens of attempts, but I think I finally found the scale/process that works. Now I'm just trying to improve the 'realism' factor by 'ungridding' my streets and making them more organic and visually more attractive. Tough to do when working with computer programs!!!

Are there many here using Fractal Mapper software?

Post Few!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
    Are there many here using Fractal Mapper software?
    Very few FM users here, unfortunately. Lots more using CC3, which is similar to FM. I have FM, though I've never used it. Many of the members here create tutorials using various mapping apps from CC3, to GIMP even hand-drawn work. We desperately need some decent FM maps and tutorials. If you think you might place some kind of introduction to Fractal Mapper tutorial, we'd greatly appreciate it.

FM is a regular Google Advertiser at the top of this forum, now and again.

Welcome to the Guild - don't get everything sticky with your festish issue though!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Very few FM users here, unfortunately. Lots more using CC3, which is similar to FM. I have FM, though I've never used it. Many of the members here create tutorials using various mapping apps from CC3, to GIMP even hand-drawn work. We desperately need some decent FM maps and tutorials. If you think you might place some kind of introduction to Fractal Mapper tutorial, we'd greatly appreciate it.
    Yes, Fractal Mapper does have a 'steep' learning curve and takes quite a bit of effort and 'work-arounds' to get good quality finished product.

I'll post a few of my best looking maps and if there is some positive feedback, then I'd be happy to do some FM tutorials for people. I learned just about everything with FM 'the hard way' via trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter
    Welcome to the Guild - don't get everything sticky with your festish issue though!

GP
    Given the 'coded' name of this forum - designed to appeal to 'map-fetishers' and the sticky floor around here, I think its already too late. Try informing the other members - I just got here!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
    Yes, Fractal Mapper does have a 'steep' learning curve and takes quite a bit of effort and 'work-arounds' to get good quality finished product.

I'll post a few of my best looking maps and if there is some positive feedback, then I'd be happy to do some FM tutorials for people. I learned just about everything with FM 'the hard way' via trial and error.

Given the 'coded' name of this forum - designed to appeal to 'map-fetishers' and the sticky floor around here, I think its already too late. Try informing the other members - I just got here!

Welcome to the guild. I have FM8 (started with 7) after learning that I could not gronk CC2. I played with it off and on for a year, working on some of my brothers campaign locations, but nothing serious. I then came here and started working in GIMP to get some more realistic looking stuff and use GIMP for my (very little) mapping time now. I would love to see some more FM stuff here though. I even posted on the FM email list trying to get some people over here a few months back, but I have only seen one other person using FM post here in the past 9 months or so I have been active. Now... get to postin!!!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I apologize for stickyin up the floor...sometimes I just can't control myself.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps