Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Desert pools

Okay, I fiddled about a bit with it and made two different brushes for mountains, and one for sand dunes. Please note that these will only work if you apply the accompanying layer style. .tpl files go in the tools folder, .asl files go in the styles folder.

These example mountains and dunes were made in about 10 seconds, so I'm sure you can do better.

I eagerly await seeing what you all can do with 'em.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanddunes.jpg 
Views:	1002 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	10478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountainstyle1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	10479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountainstyle2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	10480  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am forever in your debt!

Many thanks!!!

ummm can you talk me through how to use the tools / layer style presets?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff, have to give these a try.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    can you talk me through how to use the tools / layer style presets?
    Create a new layer. Go to Window->Styles to open the Styles window. Click on the tiny triangle there, go down to Load Styles. Find the style file (ends with .asl) in the folder where you put it, and load it, it should appear in your styles window. Then just click on it to apply it to the layer.

Same deal with premade brushes, basically. Open the Tool Presets window, click the triangle thing, load the file. Use the brush on the layer that you've applied the layer style to.

Okay, I just made a rather surprising discovery: this technique won't work if your image resolution is any less than about 250 pixels/inch. Personally I always use 300 pixels/inch when mapping, so I had no idea this could have an effect on brushes and layer styles. Don't ask me why it does.

So anyway, I recommend 300 pixels/inch for this to work properly.

I have now tried them and can I just say, Soixante, they are fantastic!!! I'm working on reverse-engineering them to see how you got there so I can modify them for my needs (even though they are nearly perfect on their own), but this is just golddust!

Thank you!

5 compass rating and rep from me...and I'm sure everyone who downloads these brushes and uses them will give you 5 compasses too.

Hehe, glad you like them. As for reverse-engineering...I really don't remember how I got them to the point they are now. Just lots of playing around with brush settings and layer styles. I'm pretty sure the actual brush used is one of the default Photoshop ones though.

Thanks for the rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Wow! Great link, Redrobes! There really are some amazing places on this earth

Truly an amazing display. Those mountain brushes are really nice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast