Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Detailed City Maps

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
    Btw, the average size of a medieval village with a population of roughly 300 people would be about 3-4 square miles in total area (fields, meadows, forest).
    This is actually a rather amusing fact too since the density between urban and rural was so extremely different. Back then a city that large was probably a metropolis.

Blog Entries

Btw, if anyone needs any historically accurate information about medieval towns and cities, I've spent years studying the topic and can usually point to good reference material for just about anything.

I'm also into medieval economics, but I'll spare you that!
    Some refs would be great. An old idea I have had is to make a prog that 'injects' people into an area and model what they do and try to find some algo to increase their aims - usually wealth but possibly enlightenment, knowledge bard songs or flip side they might want as much killing, sacrifice or raw power or whatever. So these people move about and farm, build, pillage etc like a sim city kinda thing but the idea is to a) get a map out of it of the area they are in and b) get a population census with all the names, ages and stats of the people (and monsters) in it. So medieval economics sounds like the sort of thing that would be needed to do the constraint modeling. I know it would be a monster program but it would be very interesting to write and run it.

Blog Entries

Yes, the Romans named streets based on 'where they went'.
    I used to live in a town which was mid way between two cities. Because there was a road from city A that went in the direction of city B up to this town, it meant that the road name was called B-Road.

From my point mid way between the two tho, it meant that the road to city A from our end was still called B-Road and the road to city B was called A-Road.

Confused the hell out of everyone in that town for successive generations.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you ever get that going, it might be fun to just start with some terrain and see where people build their houses and other buildings. Not sure how to make the "people" know that they're walking up or down a hill or in a forest or in a lake though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, I'm interested in information like that. Whatcha got to share?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123