Thread: Abstract Tile Walls

Post Abstract Tile Walls

I'm using MapTool for some VTT gaming and I wanted a way to throw together quick maps from tiles. I like the very abstract "map on parchment" style used in examples in the 4th ed. DMG, so I tried to get something close to that.

The result is a very small, easy to understand set of translucent tiles that can be rotated or combined to great effect. In use I start with a large repeating background (parchment or stone or some other neutral theme) then "carve" out rooms with these tiles, snapped to the grid.

Contained is 5 wall tiles, stairs, and various doors. Attached is screenshot of a relatively complex room (some of you may recognize it as Kobold Hall encounter 3 from the 4th ed. DMG) done very quickly with this tileset. The zip files are a 50 ppi version (good for VTT) and a 300 ppi version (good for print maps).

I'll go ahead and release these as Public Domain because they are so basic. Hopefully some of you can find use for them.

set updated, see new links below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	10270  
    Last edited by pfunked; 02-26-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a very neat solution to a problem. Very nice indeed. I'll add these to my library straight away.

Post Test Map: Prison Fortress

I was curious to see if I could push these tiles to do something not-so-abstract.

I like the idea of a prison encounter with several levels and catwalks/parapets. Lots of room for acrobatics and cover.

The whole map was made inside MapTool using only 7 of the above tiles, plus stock repeating cobblestone and mud textures. I added a 50% shadow tile to mark the covered areas (where a roof is implied/hidden).

Name:	prison_fortress.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	774.9 KB 
ID:	10279  

Post Update: Cave Walls

I added rough Cave Walls to the set. The pieces all fit together so random mixing and matching makes for decent caves.

Now, the caves will still have strong right angles but at least it's clear which squares the tokens can occupy.

The 300ppi is good enough for print, but I use the 50ppi ones for VTT (I use MapTool).

The demo is of Kobold Hall encounter 5.

Let me tell you how effective these are.... the 50ppi version is only 40KB total. One of my maps might use hundreds of copies of these, but MapTool only has to send one copy of each to my players. That means the guy using the bad coffeehouse connection is having no problems getting the data.

Once again, Public Domain. Enjoy.

Update: Diagonal walls added, see post #6 below

Name:	dragon_cave.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	10751  
    Last edited by pfunked; 03-02-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: License note

Clever and efficient! That's a great solution to the problem of distributing resources, and the tiles are quite attractive, as well. Have some rep!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post Diagonal Walls

Updated set attached includes diagonal walls (regular and cave style).
    Attached Files Attached Files