View Poll Results: Well... Yes or no?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! This sounds new and exciting! I wants it!

27 90.00%
  • No! I only want to do horisontal maps!

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical map!

Post Vertical map!

Ok, we've all done a bunch of top down, horisontal maps, but I have yet to see a vertical map.
    Granted, it can't be the most common set up for a map but I've thought about it and have got some really cool ideas. In a fantasy setting you can come up with a whole bunch of stuff!
    -A city on a sheer cliff wall
    -A dwarven city in a vertical cave system
    -A high and flat spaceship
    -A tower or skyscraper
    -A part of Mechanus (a plane in D&D)
    -A vertical dungeon with some really weird gravitational effects
    -A bookshelf
    Well... I think you see where I'm going with this.
    Comments?

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds good to me, and I'd have an idea or two as well.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I just finished an isometric map for a commission and they are a lot of fun. I'd definitely pitch in for this contest!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sounds good...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This reminds me of the Dragonlance AD&D module maps from the 80s. I'd like to give that a go, though I'm pretty sure that I'd fail horribly at this
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The only thing close I've seen lately in a commercial product was more of a drawing of Sharn.

Hmm.... I am torn on this. I am starting a new D&D campaign set in a Dwarven city where the city is in sort of a gorge and in terraced "layers", ie, narrow at the bottom and wider at the top, with several switchbacks for cart travel, and probably even a few manual pulley/winch systems besides, and ladders all over the place.

My original intention was to not really map the city since the players really will not spend a lot of time there, but hmmmm.... perhaps I should....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Hmm.... I am torn on this. I am starting a new D&D campaign set in a Dwarven city where the city is in sort of a gorge and in terraced "layers", ie, narrow at the bottom and wider at the top, with several switchbacks for cart travel, and probably even a few manual pulley/winch systems besides, and ladders all over the place.

My original intention was to not really map the city since the players really will not spend a lot of time there, but hmmmm.... perhaps I should....
    Well if you decide not to, you are welcome to use my Ag-Zurak map from a few months ago.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Well if you decide not to, you are welcome to use my Ag-Zurak map from a few months ago.
    Cool...I did not even remember that map(very nice btw!) I could not use that one anyway though as my city will be underground and the chasm is pretty darn large, with at least 15 or so levels. I might make a quick cross section sketch just for the players to reference. In a nutshell, the entire city has been closed to the outside world for close to (or a bit more than) 1000 years and.... well.... it's finally about time to open the gates. This will go with my painterly overland parchment map I started playing around with forests back in Dec, but the won't get that map for a few levels since they won't be ready to go outside until they open all the gates to the outside world.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast