Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2009 Entry: The Planet which has stopped

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is awesome...spectacular key/legend. The only thing (IMO) that it needs is smaller font size on country names...they're quite big, dark, and dominating. I'd make the font size smaller and space out the leading between letters so as to fill the same amount of space horizontally. Really nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Looking good so far. a couple of comments at this stage.

Why do the Southern Empire and Kingdon of Alexandrov not get their names on the map?
    I just need to translate both of them, at the final job it will be done.

The Hanseatic League name is very saturated along the country boundary and it throws it out a bit.
    I know. I've noticed it today, I'll think about it.

The railways a re very straight - is this all on a plain?
    Nope, they'll be warped.

There are no railways leaving the countries.
    I need to argue with that. International railway-links are very common and Europe is full of them - here there is an example - http://www.mapki.org/mapa%20kolejowa.jpg

What is the white region? I assume it is contested land, but with such clear labelling elsewhere, it's a little strange that the mapmakers didn't clarify the meaning of these regions. Equally with the regions that have coloured stripes - for example the island to the SE.
    I now. I promise that at the final work everything will be done clearly.

Thank's for comments.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I entirely agree with the railways! I come from the UK and even it has rail links to the continent even with sea in the way. I was meaning that there were no railways leading to the SW.

I'm glad most of the comments were things you were going to do anyway. Glad to see this coming along, and I look forward to the final version. I'd suggest bumping up the opacity of some of the heraldry in the regions as they are a little subtle at the moment, but otherwise I have no crits - this is great!

I entirely agree with the railways! I come from the UK and even it has rail links to the continent even with sea in the way. I was meaning that there were no railways leading to the SW.
    Sorry, it was a little misunderstanding. ; )

Railways are not leading to the SW, because those terrains are on the Dark Side of the the Planet (I've mentioned about it at the first post) - Those lands are totally cut off from the Light Side. I know, that currently nothing indicates that, but all those things with 'the Border', and the Dark Side I've left at the end.

I understand that there is a dark side. I'd just expected there to be some old tracks leading there from before the time when the world stopped. I can entirely understand if that were not the case.

Ok, I followed Your previous opinions, and I changed some part of those annoying bugs.

I hope, that now it looks better, still feel free to comment.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapaGranicy WIP6.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	10616  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ooo dark side, very scarey...totally butt kickin.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is really quite good Qbista - if I didn't say so earlier it looks like it came right out of a old text book or something similar.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

A very nice entry. Your map is amongst my favourites.

Great work. This is a beautiful map with a very authentic feel. I think you'll do well with this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast