Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2009 Entry: The Planet which has stopped

Post February 2009 Entry: The Planet which has stopped

Hi everybody.

Short description of my project (please be understanding for my English grammar, I've do not have any time to correct my post right now, so probably it'll be full of some stupid mistakes ; ) ):

450 years ago, planet "Bachus" suddenly stopped rotating around her own axis, dividing the planet surface on two areas - one with permanent Day, and one with permanent nighy.

People from the Dark Side of Planet, started to migrate at the the Bright one terrains, instantly causing overpopulation. After few decades, people from the bright side, to prevent their countries from starvation, separated themselves from the Dark Side, building a huge stone wall across the border of light. From 400 years nobody haven't cross the Border.

Today, people from the Bright side, taking advantage from permanent day status, started to invent technologies, gaining control over the steam & sun power. Currently, their technology level is very similar to that one, at the end of Earth's XIX century.

Their perfect world fall down about one hundred years ago. After three centuries of of silence across the Border, suddenly, People from the Dark Side have attacked the Border. Despite they old, medieval technology, they've sent to battle unholy creatures, called to live with magic, which were forbidden on the bright side for centuries.

To defend themselves from the attacks, nine States, created after the subdivision of former North Empire, created a confederation, based on producing supplies and soldiers to defend they perfect world from the dark plague - quickly the formal reign of the confederation was given to Totalitarian Party, which had everything (including all living people) subordinated to the politics of saving the Bright Side - this way the 'Nation' was born.

Bloody politics of the Nation was the cause of tensions across it and the South Empire, and other, smaller States, that currently live in the fear of being conquered by the Nation - which is still needing new resources and supplies in order to continue they war at the Border - everything indicates that the only way to gain supplies will be the cruel expansion.

-------------------------

Map presented below is just a WIP.
    It's the Political map of the bright side of Bachus; (none have ever went at the dark side to create it's map)
    for now, you must excuse me, it's written in Polish, but I swear, that the final version will be done in English.

For now, here's a small dictionary:

Jasna Strona = The Bright Side
    w roku 450 - in year 450 APS (After Planet Stopped)
    Państwo - The Nation
    Cesarstwo Południowe - The South Empire
    Stolica - Capital Province
    Królestwo Aleksandrov - The Kingdom of Aleksandrov
    Hanza - Hanseatic League

all other names are Russian/Ukraine-based and they're just personal names of provinces and countries, they do not have any equivalent in English.

Currently I'am working on the rest of Political Borders, later I will note the Border, dividing Light and Bright side.

Yours,
    Qbista.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapaGranicy Szpan ekstra.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	10287  
    Last edited by Qbista; 02-11-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Good to see you joining in...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Another good one!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Ok, Political Borders already finished, now it's time for the worst part of this job - Cities (i think that there will be about 2 hundred of them), rivers (maybe), and some other minor details.

I hope You enjoy it.

PS. Please look at the map using the maximum possible zoom - most of texture details are good shown only then.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	MapaGranicy WIP2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	10294  

Post Make sure...

I see, like others, you are using colors to differentiate between the different political entities on the map. Make sure you include some type of family crest, flags, banners or other type of insignia in each political entity as well. It is the focus of this month's challenge afterall - no exceptions.

Looking good so far!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    (...) Make sure you include some type of family crest, flags, banners or other type of insignia in each political entity as well. It is the focus of this month's challenge afterall - no exceptions.

(...)

GP
    Today I've made some part of heraldry part - at this time, all 9 provinces of the Nation and the Kingdom of Aleksandrov have gained they're own emblems.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	MapaGranicy WIP3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	10331  

Guild Journeyer

Just thought I would point it out, but if a planet didn't rotate around its own axis, then it would have year long days. You are looking for rotation synced with orbit, like Earth's moon is with Earth. The moon rotates as it goes around the earth, just the amount it rotates matches up in such a way with the amount it orbits at a given time to always point the same half of the moon at the planet. (And a far more possible event than rotation completely stopping. We'll just ignore that annoying little issue of anyone living on the light side of the planet would eventually burn to a crisp. Science seems to go out of its way to ruin interesting story lines,... Damn you science!)

Very nice looking map by the way. I'm really liking your colour and shading effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Just thought I would point it out, but if a planet didn't rotate around its own axis, then it would have year long days. You are looking for rotation synced with orbit, like Earth's moon is with Earth. The moon rotates as it goes around the earth, just the amount it rotates matches up in such a way with the amount it orbits at a given time to always point the same half of the moon at the planet. (And a far more possible event than rotation completely stopping. We'll just ignore that annoying little issue of anyone living on the light side of the planet would eventually burn to a crisp. Science seems to go out of its way to ruin interesting story lines,... Damn you science!)

Very nice looking map by the way. I'm really liking your colour and shading effects.

Im not so sure about it. Hmm... We have tested our concept with a bunch of physics and an astronomer, and we think that (of course not in our galaxy) this is possible. You're right - the rotation of Bachus is strictly synced with it's orbit (everything was based and tested at the model of Earth and the Moon). In fact, from physical point of view - Bachus didn't exactly stopped to rotate - but it's rotating nearly exactly the same around the planet as the Moon around the Earth - the time, that is needed to rotate over 90 degress is nearly the same as time needed by Bachus to travel 1/4 of it's orbit (it goes around on the circular, not hyperbolic orbit). In this way, changes of the border of light are relatively small (about 200 miles per year periodically), but this don't changes so drastically the fact of dividing the planet on two parts.

The only thing, that pretends me to call this planet stopped, is the technologic level of people that are living on is not such big enough, to prove this matter of facts, so they think (and also this information is passed in the public fame) that they planet has stopped.

And stay calm - they not gonna burn themselves. Temperature didn't go up - Bachus is still at this same position, so any changes of temperature or climate didn't went on it's surface - those are things linked with the move across the orbit, not around oown axis. Of course - at the first years people, don't used to the new way of living, was dying (about 25% of population on the light side), but crisis is forcing the evolution. Currently, on the light side there are living people, which were strong enough, to live in that conditions. At the planet surface there are still climatic zones - tropical, temperate - even polar, because the sun don't affects it's so much (they are living in the permanent 'greenhouse effect climate', but, after 500 years, they already learned how to survive.

But, of course, we didn't have any experiment, which would without any doubts state that this is possible.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast