Thread: GIMP Script: Multifill

Post GIMP Script: Multifill

I wrote a couple of scripts as the request of a user at the gimp plugin registry to aid him in coloring lineart.

The one script (multifill) takes every area of the specified colour and fills it with a random colour, or a colour from a selected palette.

The second script (flatten, or an option on the multifill script) causes the colour to grow out, eliminating the drawing strokes.

The idea is that it gives different colored areas that can easily be selected (using the magic wand tool) for coloring, gradients, filling, etc on a layer under the lineart.

I was paying with Ascensions city script, and realized it could be used to randomly fill roofs/buildings with colours from a palette, for example, there is a palette called "bears" in gimp that is made of mostly browns.

Here is the source image:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pattern.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	10288

and after running multifill with the bears palette:

Name:	pattern_mf.jpg 
Views:	945 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	10289

Now with a better palette, you could create nice shades of roofs/buildings....Using random colours then desaturating you would get a nice random heightfield...

(I warn you, it is slow if you have many small areas.....I think I should port it to python...)

You can download the script here:
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/14051

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I wrote a couple of scripts as the request of a user at the gimp plugin registry to aid him in coloring lineart.

The one script (multifill) takes every area of the specified colour and fills it with a random colour, or a colour from a selected palette.

The second script (flatten, or an option on the multifill script) causes the colour to grow out, eliminating the drawing strokes.

The idea is that it gives different colored areas that can easily be selected (using the magic wand tool) for coloring, gradients, filling, etc on a layer under the lineart.

I was paying with Ascensions city script, and realized it could be used to randomly fill roofs/buildings with colours from a palette, for example, there is a palette called "bears" in gimp that is made of mostly browns.

Here is the source image:

Name:	pattern.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	10288

and after running multifill with the bears palette:

Name:	pattern_mf.jpg 
Views:	945 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	10289

Now with a better palette, you could create nice shades of roofs/buildings....Using random colours then desaturating you would get a nice random heightfield...

(I warn you, it is slow if you have many small areas.....I think I should port it to python...)

You can download the script here:
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/14051

-Rob A>

Really cool idea!

Hmmm.... I kind of the like some of the WotC grid tiles where they have a gradient (light to dark ) overlay type thing on each and every grid cell. Any chance you could do something like that? I expect it would be pretty similar in execution....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yeah thats very good. I needed something like that the other day when I had millions of houses and had to fill them in with one of several colors as an index into which roof type. Couldn't think of an easy way to do that so had to do it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Really cool idea!

Hmmm.... I kind of the like some of the WotC grid tiles where they have a gradient (light to dark ) overlay type thing on each and every grid cell. Any chance you could do something like that? I expect it would be pretty similar in execution....
    If you want the gradient to be the same on each one, just draw one and tile it.

If you want the gradient to be different on each one, I've just modified my script

Name:	randomgrad.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	10336

And then had to run my thatching script on this just to see the results (dialed up to 36 faces...) and using the boring "cracked mud" pattern that comes with gimp, keeping the softlight layer:

Name:	randomgrad_thatch.png 
Views:	861 
Size:	431.9 KB 
ID:	10337

And then with a quick embossed grid in hardlight on top:

Name:	randomgrad_thatch_grid.png 
Views:	426 
Size:	427.0 KB 
ID:	10338

Oh yeah - attached is the modified script. It now creates a new image to work on with undo disabled. This uses much less memory, and is significantly faster if the "Hide While Processing" option is checked.

[EDIT - before I posted I realized that my comment on tiling a gradient in one direction only works for regular shapes, so I added an option for a gradient all in one direction, too]

Here is a bonus seamless tile I made with the gradient directional:

Name:	tile.png 
Views:	773 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	10340

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files