Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teston

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Wip Latest WIP

Okay, spent another hour adding shadows based on the sun "position" (top right). Comments and/or critiques?

@ Ascension - I am using gimp, and I have no clue how to "link" layers. I looked through the commands but I didn't see it if it is available.

@ Hoel - Got 2 high points for the catapults and am thinking of some strategically placed ballistas to shoot along some of the larger gully's.

? for people = how do you place a bevel and/or drop shadow in Gimp. I am at the stage in the tut to start working on the buildings and Drop shadow is the next step.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teston3.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	10488  
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Wow, that's marvellous terrain! Very good job, have some rep!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sorry, my bad...thought it was photoshop. Disregard what I said earlier Looks killer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along very nicely Korash.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Great job, coming along very nicely.
    -The small pond to the west lacks shadows and seem to float on the slope.
    -You need to soften some of the lines in the shadow layer, aspecially on the southern slope

I think you'll be using symbols for the catapults on this scale. Think about the range of those, they can't fire very far.
    What's the main angle of attack?
    The steep banks of the northen part of the river would make the bridges very hard to take if the defenders put up some stockades.
    I'll keep checking in..

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'd copy your building layer and desaturate it so that you have a copy of all your buildings in lack. Place it under your coloured buildings. Now gaussian blur it and move it down and left to give you a drop shadow. The ammount of blur, and the amount you move it will change the effect. Then change the blend mode to multiply or overlay (depending on how heavy you want the shadow and you are done. If you want to be a bit more accurate to the shape of the shadow then use motion blur instead of gaussian blur, but then you'll need to do a bit of cleaning up on the top left corners of each building.

Wip small touch-ups

okay, finished number VI - Buildings and Roads. Or at least I think I am.

I also added a couple of rough bridges and tweaked the shadows a bit.

Next on the tut is the veggie stuff.

'nother ?....In the tut (Photoshop) pyrandon mentions a Filter>Artistic>sponge or dabbing with a sponge. Any equivalent in Gimp?

@ Hoel - main thrust would be against the southeast slope, with secondary assaults on the bridges and 1 threatened river assault from the western river bank. The main problem for the attackers would be keeping decent control attacking up the broken slopes, while the defenders really do not have any real protection versus any siege equipment.

C&C anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teston4.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	10592  
    Last edited by Korash; 02-21-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: ooops
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

I think the ps sponge tool is like dodge/burn but for saturation.

I'm guessing a similar effect could be made by painting with the paintbrush using a fully saturated colour (like red) using the saturation painting mode. . Desaturating could be painted by using black or white instead of a colour.

edit: oh yeah - and to link layers, click to the right of the visibility eye in a number of layers. Then performing a transformation on one of the liked layers will perform the same transform an all linked layers. Not sure if that is quite the same as ps. linked layers.

-Rob A>

Thanks RobA, will give that a try when I can later.

Looks good.
    The defenders sure have problems with an assault up the slope. They won't have much protection at all. It would be more like a field battle than a siege...
    If the terrain is smooth enough for the defenders cavalry they could really make a dent in any attacker, and there's good positions for archers. This could be a fun map for a fantasy strategy game at company level i think.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast