Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teston

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Wip Added Trees

Ok, spent a few hours adding the trees, but I think I might have gone a bit overboard. Opinions?

I also find that the trees take away from the sense of elevation that was there before. Suggestions?

Once I am actually finished with this I will do the "Siege of Teston" with the trees cut back and palisades and stuff, just for the fun of it (and to satisfy Hoel and me)

Anyhoot, suggestions and comments welcome.

:edit: got the tree pattern from pedrov in this thread - http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...p?t=724&page=3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teston5.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	10842  
    Last edited by Korash; 03-01-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: credit where credit due.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I don't think you went overboard. The trees look very natural and the entire map looks great. Very interested in the alternative version as well, where the town is under siege.

Repped for further encouragement
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Trees look great but I'd cut some more ragged holes in the forest to break it up some...especially right around the town at the top of the hill. Since it's an elevated position they'd want to have clear lines of sight for as much as they could get in order to see armies coming. Cool nonetheless.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like it. I'd cut it down a bit around the roads and areas where people might have som use for open ground, some pastures around the edges and such.

The trees does break up the elevation shadow, I don't know if there is any solution. Excellent texture btw, works great with the style.
    You could roughen the edge of the forest a bit, add some free-standing trees..

Praise

Well I think it looks just fine, personally. I rather like the how open things are between the buildings rather than having them crowded close together. As for the trees, rivers and roads, maybe one of these days mine will look half as good. Great work so far, a definite thumbs up from me.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Post Water

Just think someone lugs water up that mountain to the castle every day. Bet their favourite thing in the world is the 'rain cistern'.

Very nice sense of depth and lovely tree texture.

I agree however that there are too many trees. Unless the town doesn't burn wood or till soil, I think us humans are just more destructive than that.

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-02-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Post Final version?

well, I think this map might be called finished. I could spend some time figuring out how to add a few cliffs along the river, but I might not.

I modified the woods around the town, added shrubbery and farmer fields. I was thinking of the open area just north of the town could be used as a town commons.

I will begin work on the Siege of Teston soon(ish) after I post in the Final Maps forum.

Any comments and/or critiques?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teston6.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	11601  
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

I really just a lurker here, but I have a few thoughts. Please take these with a gain of salt; after all they could be nullified with a little background information.

First bridges are expensive and you have two, very close together, to the point of really just needing one and they need to be protected. Since your doing a siege map, I would think a tower or fortified gatehouse would be in order, as well as a toll house. From a farming point of view, the best land is on the other side of the river, why not farming village near the bridge that would be protected by the bridge tower.

Since your current village is high up on a hill, with springs, that forces the river around it, I assume it limestone plug of sorts, but there is no sense of it rockiness, since the map is so green, there are no exposed rocks but gullies and ravines. I would assume the village up top has vineyards and orchards as well a pasture land.

The river could have banks and sandbars and where the river hits the limestone there would mostly be a large pool as the water inevitable tries to find its way around or though the limestone impediment scouring out a deep pool.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Good points there your Holiness and deserve some answers (and give me a chance to work some of it out in my head at the same time.)

My initial though on seeing what the generator gave me was a hill with the town on it and I went with that. The geology of the area came in very late in the game, so a lot of that logic went out the window I was trying to work mostly with what I was given and not force reality on it. Having said that though, I did try to justify why the town was so high up the hill. What I came up with is something like there was a HUGE flood that came by and forced people to take to the only high ground around (this outcropping) and it stayed long enough that a permanent settlement developed. As the waters slowly receded, the townies started to build further down the slope.

I figured that the hill is situated on a very large flood plain and was in a relatively secure area (hence no real need for defensive works. The one reason that I did think of as to why the pop would stay on the hill instead of onto the plain was a bit of paranoia about another flood. I realize that the bridges should have been wood, but I was thinking that the town has been around for a hundred years or so, surviving mostly as a minor stop over on a trade route, so the expense of stone might have been worth it. Why the two bridges? The original had two river crossing? I just never really gave it a thought.

Rocks on the out cropings was another area I thought of adding, along with those cliffs, but decided not to. Worth thinking about again I guess. The siege aspect of this map will be as in a before and after type of thing. This map being the before, and the siege version being after the town finds that the area is really NOT as secure as they thought. The bridges will have defensive works on the town side, trees cut back considerably, palisades all over the place to the south, refugees on the commons, and much mayhem else where. Or at least that is the plan I just need to learn how to do that. And find the time.

As I write this, I am thinking more of going back to do the rocks, but I hit a wee bit of a snag last night. Working at 1am, I said to myself, "Self, I think we have done enough for today", and myself said that that sounded like a good idea. So me and myself decided that I (me) would post the latest WIP (which I did), while myselves would save the work to date. Then me, myself and I went to bed. Waking this morning I find that my selves forgot to save the work before closing Gimp down. :'( Oh well, 4 hours down the drain, and live and learn. = Save, and save often!!!!!

Guild Adept

Awesome map. I almost tried this myself a few moons back, but never got past the random town gen. I like it and if you've a mind to post any Gimp conversion notes, I'd appreciate that.

Again, great map.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast