Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Simple Mountains in Gimp

Tutorial [Award Winner] Simple Mountains in Gimp

This is in response to a request to show I made the demo mountains in post 7 of this thread.

The embarrassing thing is that I was just winging it, not paying attention (I tend to play/undo, tweak mercilessly until I get the look I like). So following is a summary of the MAIN steps I used.

I'm trying a different format this time, so I have 5 steps per image. I'd suggest opening them in a new window/tab as you follow along with the text.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContactSheet_001.jpg 
Views:	16394 
Size:	978.5 KB 
ID:	10313
    1) Starting with a piece of Nerdling's map (which has nice colours already - which is why I'm not going to show anything about colours except snowcap).
    2) Make a selection using the lasso tool around the area(s) you want the mountains. On the Channels tab, click New Channel. Select the "Initialize from selection" check. This will give us the ability to bring up the selection again by coming back to the channels tab, selecting the "Selection" channel and clicking the "Selection from Channel" button (next to the garbage can icon)
    3) Create a new black filled layer named "Blur". Since we still have the selection, fill it with white. Select>None then Gaussian blur 100 px or so (it depends on the size of the map...)
    4) Create another new black filled layer named Noise. Load up the selection channel as a selection, and feather it 50 px or so (again, depending on the map...)
    5) Fill the feathered selection with B&W rendered cloud or noise (I used the Felimage Noise plugin)

Name:	ContactSheet_002.jpg 
Views:	8813 
Size:	952.8 KB 
ID:	10314
    6) Create another black filled layer named "Angular Fill". With our feathered selection, fill it with a Shaped (dimpled) gradient fill.
    7) Change Layer Modes of the Angular Fill and Noise layers to Addition. The image will look all blown out. Select the Blur layer and adjust the levels, pulling down the output bright level to 85 or so.
    On the Noise Level, Also pull down the brightest level to 50 or so. Do this by sliding the input white level down to where you see something on the histogram, and slide the output white level down to 50.
    9) You could use the levels on the Angular fill layer, but you get more control with curves (this is where I spend lots of time "tweaking"). First, bring down the right land side of the line until there are no highlight blowouts (watch the image). Then shape the curve similar to what I have done.
    10) Use Layers>New from Visible to create a copy of the heightfield so far, and use the curves tool on this new layer (I renamed it New from Visible...it is created with the name Visible). Make the curve like I show. The idea is to make it resemble the cross section of a mountain range. This is what really defines the peaks.

Name:	ContactSheet_003.jpg 
Views:	9082 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	10315
    11) Duplicate that layer, and run Filters>Distort>Emboss. The Azimuth (light angle) and Depth can be what you want, but the elevation MUST be at 30! (This will give all horizontal surfaces a value of 50% grey... perfect for later)
    12) Load up that selection from the Selection channel. feather it by 50 px or so, then invert it.
    13) Making sure the emboss layer is selected (It gets unselected when you click on a channel), set the foregound colour to 50% grey and fill the layer. This will smooth out the ridges that were evident in the embossed layer in the nearly flat areas. I filled it a second time, as I could still see the ridges (It depends on what your depth was when you ran the emboss filter).
    14) Turn off all the Blur, Noise, Angular Fill, and New from Visible Layers, and set the Emboss Layer mode to Hard Light (or Overlay... again, it depends on the image and colours). I wanted to reduce the contast without effecting the 50% level, so using the curves tool, first anchor the 50/50 mark in the middle of the line with a click, then grab the black and white ends and slide them up and down respectively, keeping an eye on the result.
    15) A little snow in the heights looks good. Conveniently we have a heightfield ready to use. Turn the visibility of the New fon Visible layer back on, and set its layer mode to Screen. Now apply a threshold, and slide the black level up to a point where you have the amount of "snow" desired.

Name:	2009-02-12_124627.jpg 
Views:	7735 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	10316
    16) Lastly I ran a 5 px Gaussian blur on the New from visible layer, and lowered the opacity a bit.

That is it.

It is all the playing with curves and adjusting levels in the addition stack when building the heightfield that make this work OK. You could even go further, adding more layer to the stack to represent really big peaks, etc. If you wanted to make mesa's, you could just allow the highlights to blow out, making the top flat!

Hope this was useful, comments on both the content and the format are appreciated.

-Rob A>

Thank you very, very much for another useful tutorial! I'll try this on the weekend! Thanks a lot!

Ok. I'm downloading GIMP now since this clearly can't be done in PS

Tutorial Tutorial attached as a PDF document

Hi, RobA.

This is an extremely useful tutorial and one that I intend to put to use as soon as I get GIMP installed. Thank you for writing this up for us to use!

================================================== =====

Hi, All.

I have converted Rob's excellent tutorial to a PDF document and have attached it to this thread.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Gary

Name:	Simple Mountains in GIMP.pdf 
Views:	6726 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	10333
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

anyone putting it in a pdf

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    anyone putting it in a pdf
    Vandy did in the post above yours.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Nice! I've definitely got to play with this tutorial more.
    I'm hacking my way into the cartographical realm with AutoRealm, AutoCAD, GIMP, and Google Sketchup as my tools!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages
    because they know they can be impolite without
    having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Good stuff. I'm sure I'm messing up somewhere, but a few passes at it got some decent results. The tops looked cut off, probably because I didn't do the curves right.

The ridges were a little harsh for me, so I went through and smoothed it out manually.

I've already had lots better luck with this than the mountains in the the regional map tutorial, thanks RobA!

Guild Novice

I think this tutorial, along with the regional tutorial, are extremely useful. It's taken me a week of after work mapping to really get a good hang of them, but I'm eally starting to like the results. The original regional tutorial frustrated me at the mountain stage, but this one really fills in the gaps.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast