Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite "map"

Post Satellite "map"

This is an incredible "map" of the satellites orbiting Earth.

It is just a representation, but I thought it was good idea fodder. It is from NASA picture of the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	312941main_Bee-Hive-1_H1_full.jpg 
Views:	1956 
Size:	366.3 KB 
ID:	10325  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I didn't want to see this. Now I'm gonna go all paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Only "problem" with that one is it doesn't show the debris or inoperative satellites. I'm guessing it doesn't show the ones with the lasers pointed at Sweden either.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We, as a species, seem to have some sort of pathological drive to junk up everything...depressing. Cool in a way, but still sad in another. I'm with Hoel...I won't scratch myself for a month now cuz someone might be watching (and pointing lasers)
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very nice. Of course you paranoid people do realize that 95% of those sats are commercial and scientific right?

I'm more afraid of big commercial interests then the good ol' Kingdom of Sweden watching my ass. SÄPO (swedish security service) would do a good job in an old keystone flick.
    Did you know they actually let hard time convicts go on "R&R" here? They have two officers with them, but if they go home to a wife or girlfriend the officers stay outside?
    One of our most famous spies escaped with his wife to USSR via finland on such an occasion.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That's a whole lotta "space junk"
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Very nice. Of course you paranoid people do realize that 95% of those sats are commercial and scientific right?
    Ummm, I would think ALL of those sats are commercial. The ones that aren't are also not listed on that database.

Because amateur astro guys have some pretty impressive scopes and CCD's these days they tend to see the old spy sats. They are making many materials which are really black now. Really black as in virtually no light comes off of them in a wide spectrum. I saw only this week some researchers using a sort of fur made of nano tubes which have the same effect as moth eyeballs - the ultimate stealth creatures.

You should get a clear black night about an hour after end of sunset and look up. It takes just a few seconds to see commercial satellites all over the place. I have tried taking photos of the ISS tho and thats a whopper and I cant do it without making it look like a big streak.

I've also read the criticism of that diagram's misrepresentation of data, specifically, while each dot represents one piece of debris, each dot (at the scale drawn) occupied 100's of kilometers square in space, leading one to feel we are enshrouded by debris.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast