Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dwarven outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    That's pretty cool, jfrazierjr. I really like the textures.

Thanks Turganev.... I can't really take credit for any of this other than the general shape. As I said, I used Genetica View for all 4 of the textures and I used RobA's script to generate the wall/floor texture fill and then just did two additional layers masked off to make the other two room's floors. Sooo... 20 minutes to do a B/W map shape and then 2 minutes to run RobA's script and add 2 new layers with layer masks....

The thing I like most about this is the option RobA has in his script (that I had not noticed before) for Displace, which is what makes the walls not straight in random ways. This really makes it look like someone just kind of hacked at the walls until a corridor was tunneled out....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept

Very nice. I can see use of it for a warehouse basement in an abandoned district in my current rpg. Thanks.

Nice. I especially like the tile- and rock-textures. Is each component textured next to the others? Or are they done in seperate layers? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Malazek View Post
    Nice. I especially like the tile- and rock-textures. Is each component textured next to the others? Or are they done in seperate layers? Just curious.
    Seperate layers using Layer Masks. Each of the floor textures fills their entire layer and is masked off.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's pretty good I like it.
    Surgeon's General Warning
    Heathan causes brain tumors, mass hysteria, random acts of violence, road rage, drunken nudity, world peace, 'the munchies', white noise, insanity, cthulu, anal leakage, METAL, presence of extraterrestrial, the freeing of ‘twins’, SNEAK ATTACK!, smoking, alcoholism, unadulterated awesomeness, and GANGSTA.

Eberron Ecologies 4/5 Rice Crispy Treats (by me and some other folks).
    The Ten Commandments of Character Optimization 5/5 Rice Crispy Treats

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Thanks Turganev.... I can't really take credit for any of this other than the general shape. As I said, I used Genetica View for all 4 of the textures and I used RobA's script to generate the wall/floor texture fill and then just did two additional layers masked off to make the other two room's floors. Sooo... 20 minutes to do a B/W map shape and then 2 minutes to run RobA's script and add 2 new layers with layer masks....

The thing I like most about this is the option RobA has in his script (that I had not noticed before) for Displace, which is what makes the walls not straight in random ways. This really makes it look like someone just kind of hacked at the walls until a corridor was tunneled out....
    I'm glad someone is still using the script, I thought it might have been a flash in the pan!

Another suggestion is to run the script on two copies of the template, one with displace on and one with displace off, then drag the generated layers into one image. That way you can select what areas are straight and which are displaced. (on second thought, would it be useful to add a "displace mask" parameter? A B&W selection representation/channel that could be loaded before running the displace...)

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12